2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM
asmodeus289
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster

So I bought a replacement cluster for my '01 Dakota, plugged it in and the mileage is different than what my original cluster says. I thought the mileage information was stored some where other than the cluster. Or am I missing something. Do I need to take it out for a drive with the new cluster or turn the ignition off and on a few times or reset the PCM and then the mileage will magically show up to what my tuck actually has?

Thanks, Jerry

Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Instrument Cluster

you bought the cluster used, right ? the mileage is stored in both the pcm and the cluster, but the cluster mileage is what will display. nothing you can do about it, except look for another used cluster with the mileage that you want.

when you buy a new cluster from dodge, the dealer pulls the mileage from the pcm, and sends a certification to detroit or some place, and they program the cluster with the mileage, and send it to the dealer, and you pay $600 or so for it. dealer does not have the tools to needed to program (alter) mileage. thats probably a good thing.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
asmodeus289
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Instrument Cluster

Well that sucks ***. I guess I'll be selling the new/used cluster.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster