2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

fuel Problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel Problems!!!!!

i was driving around a corner and the trunk just died... it didnt sputter or nothing...andit couldnt get up to a good idle after i stoped to restart it. laterafterfixing the battery terminal connecters (cuz they were loose)we bought a can of engine starter fluid and sprayed it in the throttle body and it reved up to 3000. the guy that owned it before me said he replaced the fuel pump init like 2 months ago and the brand he used was AIRTEX. in my previous vehical i replaced the pump twice before i found a reliable one soo i think that is the problem.......

2000 dodge dakota quadcab
4.7L V8 MAGNUM

Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 AM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel Problems!!!!!

I had a 90 5.0 coupe one time and it had a broken baffle in the fuel tank and it would do the same thing after it got down to about a 1/4 of a tank. He might have installed the pump wrong or there may be something in the tank moving around and blocking the pump pick up.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:46 AM
ncranchero

I don't know if you can normally hear the fuel pump running on a Dakota or not, Ford you can. Remove the gas cap and have someone listen for the fuel pump running as you turn the ignition switch on. Fuel pumps are usually on a timed relay (to build initial pressure) and by the time you can turn on the switch and get to the tank to listen it's timed out and turned off. No whirring fuel pump sound, check the relay and/or fuel pump fuse. AIRTEX is a quality replacement pump.
BE CAREFUL using starting fluid. Too much and you'll bend the connecting rods!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

Didnt use too much starting fluid. Enough to find out that it wasnt running on its own, but off the fluid instead. Gotta get the truck to a shop and take off the bed and remove the pump. I got all week to do it, so Im gonna try to get it done real quick.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:58 PM
ncranchero

I've changed one on a Q-C, just sat the bed back a bit onto a pair of sawhorses @ the rear and on the tires @ the front. Not too bad a job. Helps if you've got a friend to muscle one side of the bed.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

Well my cousin works in a body shop and we have all we need to remove the bed completely. Fork lift, stands, you name it. Just needed input on what could possibly be the problem. Hopefully its just a wire or something on the pump that came loose. Either way it will get fixed.

Quick Reply: fuel Problems!!!!!