2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

"no bus" dealership says new cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 AM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "no bus" dealership says new cluster

That is true, but in the even of a bad sensor like that, bus communication is maintained. The PCM shorts out and acts like it has lost power. Thats only in the event of a short to ground in the 5V supply circuit that almost every sensor is on.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
sayros
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the ideas.I wasn't able to check this forum the last few days. While googling and looking through posts and forums I have noticed the crank sensor to be a common problem. Right from the beginning I have brought this up with the service guy at Dodge I have been dealing with and he has continually said they have checked these sensors and that 3 technicians have all come with the same result and that was that it needs a new cluster. In all the searching I havent run into anyone that has had to replace the cluster so I am either a 1 in a million case or someone isnt doing their job. At this point they are still waiting for the cluster to arrive so that's where I'm at as of now.

I agree that you wouldnt think a cluster problem would prevent a vehicle from starting. Furthermore, you would not think a vehicle would just shut down while driving as mine did on the highway. What If I were passing and that happened or in an intersection or something? Seems very unsafe especially since nothing mechanical actually went wrong. Is this how they intended the vehicle to respond in a cluster failure situation? The vehicle simply dieing with no warning. Possibly causing a huge accident?

Lastly, I entered my VIN number at the Dodge website and came across a safety recall for Upper Ball Joints for my truck that was showing incomplete. Should a dealership not bring a recall to my attention? I mean it is the actual dealership after all, not just some shop. I had to call and ask to have it done. He said he thought he checked. I feel like I should do something but don't really know who I should take this up with at this point. I always have to call them, they havent once called me even when they said they will call me to update me.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get that off my chest! Any ideas welcome. Very frustrated.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
sayros

Update:

Just heard from dealership. New cluster resulted in them finally being able to communicate with the vehicle with their scanner tool but truck still would not start. They finally found that the camshaft sensor was also shot and told me that when the cluster went it must have sent a spike to the camshaft sensor. So they finally got the thing started and I should have back this afternoon. Wondering how much a camshaft sensor should cast and how many hours labour as I do not want to be charged for all the hours of them figuring out what was wrong (I believe there to be many.) Also, does the camshaft sensor being spiked from the cluster sound like it could happen and is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again as nothing really happened when my car died as in no shocks or anything like that. Heard something about a ground strap? I can't help but think that maybe if the old cluster went back in it would run fine and it was that sensor all along.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM
sayros

Just thought I would clean this up. End result was a $1,500 bill from dodge to replace cluster and camshaft sensor. Want to thank everyone for helping out and giving ideas as I wanted to ask them as many questions as possible. I talked to their mechanics and everything and they seemed legit and said they have been over every connection on this vehicle three times over and seemed frustrated themselves. The only thing I can't help but wonder is if that cluster would have worked with the new camshaft sensor? Anyway, thanks again. So far so good with the truck. I'm up in Northern BC now where it is negative 40 celcius!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Cumminsnut

I've just finished diagnosing my "no bus" problems with my 02 Dakota 3.9, Lucky for me the white PCM plug (middle) had a little dirt and moisture in it. I blew all the connectors out, blew the PCM pins out and reconnected everything. The dash, fuel pump all came back on and the truck fired right up.

Anyone ever try dielectric grease on the PCM pins, to keep them clean?

Quick Reply: "no bus" dealership says new cluster