2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Deviant
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Shifting Problems

I'm new to the forum here, but wanted to try to get some help. I looked around a bit, but didn't find a post that sounded like my same issues.

I have an 04 with the 4.7 v8. Within the last month this has happened two times, so I suspect it's not just a fluke.

I warm my truck up, put it in reverse and backed up. When I stopped and put it in drive, it killed on me. After I put it in park and started it again, the engine light came on. Then, when I put the truck in drive it was upping the rpm's but the truck was not wanting to drive forward. It was almost like trying to start with the emergency brake on (which it was not).

It did not just go away after a couple of shifts.

This continued to happen for over 15 miles, at each stop light when the light turned green with my foot off the brake the truck would not even idle forward. The rpm's would rise with more gas given and then truck would start from a slow roll to actualling accelerating after about 3000 rpms.

I tried shifting around gears just to see what would happen and it seemed to me like everything was a gear behind...for example i shifted into 1st, which normally at anything over 15 mph the truck would lurch forward as it downshifted, but not this time. Going into first was just about like shifting into second.

I have had the tranny flushed at 30,000 and both filters changed. I have not done it again and know I should, but now I have about 74,000 miles on it.

I checked the fluid for leaks which I see none, and I checked the fluid itself and it was full and still bright red looking.

After the truck sat while I was in work all day, I came out and it has worked fine since.

I tried the key on while holding down the trip reset trick to see any codes, and it runs through some numbers very fast and says "checking" but I get no code numbers in the end. In both cases I have disconnected the battery to reset the engine light.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what fixed the problem.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2004 Shifting Problems