2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

???2004 Dakota Transmisson Concern???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:14 PM
emt97323
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???2004 Dakota Transmisson Concern???

Hey I was wondering if any one elese was having a problem. I have the 6cly automatic and when I am going down the road at a steady speed(45-50) my truck will start to feel like it is skipping...Then if I start to go up a slight incline my truck will down shift and start to feel like it is skipping.It almost feels like it is dropping to many gears at on time and then it also feels like it is not kicking down.The dealership said something to the effect that it is something to do with the overdrive BUT that it is normal???? Any suggestions on how to fix it or any suggestions on how to get the dealship to fix it.I am pretty handy with tools and I am not afraid to get dirty. The truck only has 4000 miles on it.Funny thing is that the dealership has replaced the plugs(WHY?) because the truck had multi misfires?

Old 12-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Hit_it
Rookie
Default RE: ???2004 Dakota Transmisson Concern???

I read that the 5.7 hemi's have a t.s.b. for their trannies. It flashes their tranny module and corrects the problem. Sympton: In "tow/haul" mod tranny hunts for gear while under a heavy load. I took my 4.7L to the dealership and told them that I was carrying about 700lbs in the "tow/haul" mod and that my transmission was hunting or searching for gears. When I picked up my truck, they told me that no codes were thrown but they flashed my module anyway. Now, my truck lights them up on dry pavement at the stop light, plus i have not noticed that my tranny is searching for gears anymore. Do not mention the the 5.7L have a t.s.b., most likely they will not do it in that case. Good luck on your problem, hope this helps.

Eric.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:10 PM
04Dakota
Veteran

My 04 Dakota does the same thing. Only thing the dealer can tell me is that they have had several Dakotas and Libertys come in with the same problem. No solution what so ever or any idea what causes it.

Also my service engine soon light comes on about once every 2 months and the code it gives is a random cylinder misfire. I just hope this isn't a bad thing.

Mitch

Old 04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
mayorofthelake

I also have an '04 with the 3.7cyl 4x4 drivetrain and the GM of the dealership just happens to be my neighbor. The liberty's and the dakotas have the same problem with the overdrive and there is a flash available at your dealership to mask this problem, except that's all it does is "mask" it. I fought with d/c for 4 months before they came out with the software (which was blamed on the lax of the EPA) and it still does the same thing. I called for legal assistance with this piece of junk and we'll battle it out in August. I was without the vehicle for almost three months after I bought it because it was practically undriveable, at which point I basically asked for my money back and d/c said that there was nothing wrong with it (but why was it being held at the dealership?). It's pretty pathetic when you rip off a hard working 18 year old first and last time customer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15072/FE9516F564C644108455298D1521D071.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2005, 12:24 PM
m10rules

Have similar problem with my 05 Dakota and dealer tells me nothing they can do till Check Engine Light comes on. Going to take it back to selling dealer in May to have them check it out for me (650 miles away so hard to get it back to them). Truck will pull great when you can keep it into 4th or 5th gear, problem is it wants to "stick" in 3rd ALL the time, with or without trailer, uphill or downhill.

Quick Reply: ???2004 Dakota Transmisson Concern???