2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replaced ECM...Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Megamanjs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced ECM...Now What?

ok, i had another post where my 97 Dakota 3.9 auto would just cut out down the highway. I replaced the cam and crank sensor, and ran all the usually diagnostics. Finally i just decided to replace the ECM. Anyway, i put the ECM in and the truck runs fine (Will not know if it cuts out or not for a while but that is off topic). The instructions say to do a Vin Entry Procedure. What is a VIN Entry Procedure? What will happen if it doesnt get done? How long before it needs to get done? Is it something i can do or does it have to be done at a shop or dealership? Any info will be appreciated. If i cant do it myself or anyotherway then i will take it to the dealership tomorrow and have them do it. I hope i can drive it that far without issues.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: Replaced ECM...Now What?

It wasn't on a Dakota, but I replaced the ECM on my wifes car. The lowest price I found was at Giant Auto Parts for a rebuilt one, "three year guarantee". They asked me for my VIN number, and mileage on the car. They had to program the unit for my vehicle. He said if they didn't do it, I would have to go to the dealer. I just plugged it in and drove off. I don't know what would happen if anything if you tried to drive itwithout programming it first. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Maybe call where you got it and ask them.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
snooper386

well for one thing there was probably nothing wrong with you old ecm. i had the same problem with my truck cutting out on my and i took it to my mechanic and he told me theres nothing wrong with my computer and started laughing and told me it was just a relay. the auto shut down relay was bad in it. all you have to do is get another one from dodge or switch it with your horn or something on the truck you dont use very much. the auto shutdown relay acts like a remote wire on an amp. if you have a bad connection then it will shutdown and come back on. and to get the vin number on you ecm take it to dodge. it shouldnt cost very much to reprogram it.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Megamanjs

Wow, where were you on my other post! Where is this ASD relay on a 97 3.9? I will not know wheather or not it is fixed for atleast a 100 miles or so, but if is not fixed then that has got to be it. I've replaced everything else. I got the computer VIN'd today, was $100 bucks at the dealership. Not to bad, they also did the rear brake lines for a recall.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Megamanjs

I think i will replace that relay just incase. All the money i have in for the ecm, the flash, crank sensor, and cam sensor, what is a relay to top it off right!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM
snooper386

yeah the relay has a tab that moves inside the relay when the tabs connect it sparks under a load and turning on and off your truck starts wearing the tabs out after awhile and starts getting a chared residue on the tabs and sometimes then connection cuts off hitting a bump or just vibration from normal driving that is why the truck stalls when your driving down the road. the relay doesnt cost too much but sometimes you get a bad one from the dealership as i had to buy several. so i just replaced it with like the horn relay and cause you dont use the horn that often. and the relays are located under the hood right next to the battery. on your driver side.

Quick Reply: Replaced ECM...Now What?