2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Am I the only one to do this swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Am I the only one to do this swap?

Well if the Ram is anything like the Dakota, unless it sees the factory gauge cluster, you'll get a "no bus" code and the truck won't start. So you may need to try and adapt the Ram's cluster to fit in the Dakota.......??

Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Jasn81

Well if the Ram is anything like the Dakota, unless it sees the factory gauge cluster, you'll get a "no bus" code and the truck won't start. So you may need to try and adapt the Ram's cluster to fit in the Dakota.......??
Thanks for the heads up. That's one of them things that I'll have to get to that point to really be able to tell. I am in the process of doing some body harness wiring right now, but won't know about that part until I get the mechanical side of it all done, and ready to "start." I am giving myself a month or so for wiring alone.

***Update*** Will not need to change out. The Ram uses a updated cluster with the exception on the SRT which was why the Ram threw the "no bus" code. The dakota uses the same type cluster as the SRT.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:49 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice it's always good to have a custom cluster! Even if you would get the same errors i would tear apart the current one and use the wiring to hook up that way you can keep most of the stock stuff just different look!. Your going to need some pics though. I would use a aluminum back plate and white gauges would look kick ***!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 AM
MTN13
Veteran

you should posts videos when you get that thing done. It seems like a lot of work but if i could do that i so would, but you seem like you got enough money to have very nice toys. have fun with that project.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

BTW, somone HAS already done this swap successfully and completely. It was with an older Gen Viper motor (450HP), but same idea basically. It was in a RC Dakota Sport.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Jasn81

BTW, someone HAS already done this swap successfully and completely. It was with an older Gen Viper motor (450HP), but same idea basically. It was in a RC Dakota Sport.
Nice! I'm glad to know I'm not the only dumb *** out there! Does anyone know them, or how to get ahold of them? I was looking to ask people what problems, and or issues they had. I have all the mechanical figured out, but there is always something you don't think of.

Nice it's always good to have a custom cluster! Even if you would get the same errors i would tear apart the current one and use the wiring to hook up that way you can keep most of the stock stuff just different look!. Your going to need some pics though. I would use a aluminum back plate and white gages would look kick ***!
I am going to have to do some gauge work anyway... That's one of the last things I'm going to do though. The Viper has a lot of extra stuff that the Dakota gauges doesn't have, (IE knock sensor,oil temp and pressure... Will need boost gauge)but I'm going to try to make it look as stock as I can. I'll probably do a post of new idea's and people's opinions when I get there, and the color depends on what interior I go with. I have some black and red recaro's I may put in there.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

Wow that truck would really bea sleeper. Pull up beside him and you think that it's just another dak, then he takes off and leaves you in a cloud of smoke, better think again!! I like it!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 4x4kota

Wow that truck would really bea sleeper. Pull up beside him and you think that it's just another dak, then he takes off and leaves you in a cloud of smoke, better think again!! I like it!
I doubt that RC Dakota would smoke alot of people.....simply too light in the *** end of the truck.....now, that's not saying it wouldnt be bad ***, but quite honestly, I'd expect that truck to spin tires more then speed off....

I could be wrong....

Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

id like to do that to mydurango a v10 sweet after you finish this if i were to show up w/ a viper v10 and money for all the parts could we do it in a couple weeks?? 2 people bc i think that would be sweet in a durango, and less wheel spinning and more smoking people off the line

Quick Reply: Am I the only one to do this swap?