2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Changing manual tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
kunkledude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing manual tranny fluid

I saw in my dakota maintenance manual that the fluid should be checked at 30,000mi. Since I am at thatnumber now,I wanted to know if I should change it or just check it. Also, are the fill/drain plugs hex head bolts? I looked at the tranny at the last oil change and noticed what looked to be thefill and drain plugs. I have an 04 dakota, 5-speed, 4.7L.

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: Changing manual tranny fluid

Believe it or not, if you have the NV-3500 5-speed transmission in your 04 Dakota, Chrysler says it does not require periodic changing. I don't know if I would agree with that, but I'm a maintenance freak. I've always used automatic transmission fluid in the standard transmissions I've had, but this Chrysler transmission uses a different lubricant, "Mopar Manual transmission fluid, part number 4874464". Whether the aftermarket has come up with this fluid to sell in parts stores I don't know. I imagine if you have to go to Chrysler, it is going to be expensive. I'd just take the fill plug out of the transmission, "the topplug", and if any comes out, or if you can stick the end of your finger in the hole and feel the fluid, I'd just put theplug in and let it go. I think I'd be prone to change it anyway at around 50,000 miles, even if Chrysler told me I didn't have to do so.Most of the new models do require an allen type socket or wrench to remove the plug. Maybe someone else on here that has taken their plugs out can tell you what size.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

sure its not a 1/2 inch breaker bar?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a syncromesh fluid that you can get at a parts store or i think amsoil has it too. pretty sure this is the right stuff.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is the right stuff that part number is on that page...ill probably be adding this sometime this summer

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
ricbrk
Professional

Will most likely be cheaper than buying it from Chrysler, and Amsoil is a proven product...

Quick Reply: Changing manual tranny fluid