2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starting ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
DAK99OTA
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting ?

I have a 2001 4.7 that has been starting weird recently. When I fill it up with gas it starts right away, as the gas level goes down, it takes longer to fire up. I was down below a quarter of a tank and I had to try to start it a couple of times before it finally got going. I replaced the plugs and battery within the last 2 months and even took it back to get the battery tested and they said it was OK.
It seems to start better when I treat it like a diesel, turn the key to on, let all the gauges move and then turn it tothe start position.
Any ideas? I am assuming it's a fuel pump problem, but just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Starting ?

I would say your fuel pump is starting to go or the filter is clogging up. When the tank is higher it's probably easier to get more gas through the filter, but once it gets lower it has to work a bit harder... You probably don't have adequate line pressure once it get down to about half... or so.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM
DAK99OTA
Amateur

Varsis, thanks for the imput. Assuming it is the fuel pump, I will try to take the bed off and get to it from that route, I am just leary of making sure I get everything disconnected that needs to be.

Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:03 PM
DAK99OTA
Amateur

I replaced the fuel pump and as an added bonus my gas gauge is actually accurate now so I won't get a low fuel light w/ 10 gallons left . Wasn't too bad except it actually had more fuel in the tank than it showed so it was a little heavier than it needed to be.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Thanks for letting us know you fixed it and how!

Quick Reply: Starting ?