2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 AM
MTN13
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat

I am in need of replacing my thermostat and i am wondering if you get any gain from a lower temp thermostat (180 or 160)?

What are the pros and cons of them

and would you recomend using one or just sticking with the oem one?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 AM
scandal669
Veteran
Default RE: Thermostat

The Magnum engines respond very well to a 180 degree thermostat. The factory thermostat is a 195 degree which is great for emissions but not so great for performance. Changing it out to a 180 degree model will keep the engine slightly cooler which will help make more power. Please be aware that just swapping the thermostat, without any other modifications, won't gain you a whole lot of extra power. All modifications work together and most will complement each other. Example: 180 T'Stat used with a Cold Air Kit, Headers, and a good Cat-Back system. The 180 degree thermostats will not affect your emissions output either.

i put in a 180 and didnt really notice any power increase, but it did stop pinging. i have read that the computer is set to show a check engine light at 182 degrees but i havent had my light go on and a 160 will supposedly decrease power and set off a code

Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

more info in stats
Moe in Wichita,KS. I read a story about one time when Chrysler changed the co. that made stats for them. the new co. was used to making very close tol. valves, and the stats they made for Chrysler were air tight. to get a cooling system to fill easly Chrysler engeners said to drill a 1/8 inch hole around the outer edge. i have done this for decades, with no trouble.
to seal the stat use permatex #2 put a small amount in the grove in the housing. and some on the other side side of the stat then put the gasket on. but not the side of the gasket that goes to the manafold. this keeps the sealant where its easer to clean the next time you take it apart.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Gaviao

I have been looking for an 180 t-stat for my 4.7. Haven't been able to find it yet. I read in another forum that you can use the ones for the 5.2/5.9 with small modifications. Can anyone second that? I sure hope the 180 t-stat plus Engine Ice will stop the pinging that I have. It only happens with the Superchips Performance mode installed.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
asmodeus289
Professional

Jeg.com sells the JET thermostat for 4.7's. It's part number JET 10177.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Gaviao

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:46 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fitteed the jet 180 stat to my 4.7 and could felt a slight improvment in throttle responce. As has been said before, it won't be a huge differance but when you do lots of little things they add up.
You have to file a little notch in the stat to allow the rubber seal to sit properly on the new stat. I re-used the old one without any additional sealant anf its been fine. The only trouble I had was finding the Radiator drain valve, as i wanted to change the coolant whilst down there. The bottom hose on the 4.7 isn't at the bottom the rad, so you'll still have quite few liters of old coolent left behind if you don't drain it. The valve is a very small PLASTIC (so be careful) tap on the bottom drivers side of the rad. Mine was hidden behind the little rubber pipe they provide for draining purposes.
Go ahead, its the cheapest mod you can do (apart from the TPS mod, which is free!) and can only help extend the life of your engine. The only possible downside is if you get REALLY cold winters. You might find your heater isn't quite as warm. I haven't had a problem since fitting it but it rarly gets much below freezing over here.

Paul

Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Gaviao

Paul,
Thanks for the information. The main reason I want to change the Thermostat is because I get some pinging with the Superchips Performance tune installed. I'm hoping that between the new T-stat and new coolant, either Engine Ice or Water Wetter, the problem gets solved.

Quick Reply: Thermostat