2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

rear differntial

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
ricbrk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear differntial

Does anyone have a picture of a posi rear end broke down in pieces, or know where I can find such a thing on line. I changed the lube in my front and rear differentials yesterday, and found something in the rear differential that don't look good. I have to go out, and will post more later with pics, but if I can get a picture of the differential broke, down I may be able to see the piece. Thanks 2004 4.7 with posi 12 bolt cover

Old 03-15-2008, 05:54 PM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: rear differntial

I found a piece of what looks to be a bushing or bearing stuck to the differential magnet. Idon't know what to make of it because apparently it's magnetic. It looks like a half bearing ? One end is smooth, and the other end,the ends are chewed up. I put three pics on here, so check it out and see what youthink. It is to small to be involved with the axles or imput shaft. It is a little bigger than a dime in circumference. There is no play in anything in the differential, and the gears or nothing else has a mark on them ? It has no noise at all while driving. I called the dealer where I bought the truck, as it has 8 years, 80,000 mile warranty on power train. It states on the warranty that axles, bearings, seals, housings, differential and all interior components, are covered less $100 deductible. He kinda blew it off and said he doesn't know if Dodge will cover it being they didn't do the differential service and find it. He said to bring the piece I found in and he will take a look at it and see what he can do. I think it must be something in the positraction unit, being it is so small. Let me know what you guys think. All, the Service manager told me to stilldrive it if it isn't making any noise, LOL. I'd feel a lot safer doing that if I was sure they would cover it under the warranty I have.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75316/D48ACB4114404BD6A69FB29B93D18B7D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/75316/861D8ECFF3E24339A0F36F2833F6EA56.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/75316/99DC284CA61C4B3EB702135E62B63624.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/75316/164C5CA9254D432B9DF034F449A56F15.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2008, 10:24 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, its a retainer clip. they do something with the clutch packs. take it in to a tranny shop right away before you cause too much damage. the same thing happend to me and I had to get a whole new casing.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 PM
ricbrk
Professional

Thanks, I'm going to the garage on Monday. I got an extended warranty, so I'm going to fight them to repair itunder the warranty. I read the full description of the 8yr/80,000 mi.warranty, and everything in the rear end is covered. I have been looking on line to see if it a common occurence with the clutch pack, and it is. Along with the front end issues, and engine sludge, LOL. And they are giving lifetime power train warranties on the new one's ? I happened to come accross this web site that was listed as Durango's, but has Dakota's also. It is people having problems. I read a few complaints, then decided to just scroll down to see how long the list was, LOL, "unbelievable". You should read some of those people's complaints. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...e_durango.html

Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 AM
ricbrk
Professional

Well, you were right Johnnymagnum. It is a retainer clip from the posi unit. I stopped at the dealerthis morning and showed it to him. The service manager did not seem to concerned about it. He says it is a common problem with the posi units, more so with the Jeeps ? I have to be there Wednesday morning at 9 for them to pull the cover off and check it. They will decide whatall needs replaced. I asked him if it was OK to drive it, and he said sure, but he wouldn't recommend any long trips. I also asked him if it blows up now that they know about the problem will it affect the warranty, and he said no because he will probably have to replace most of the internals anyway. What a way torun a business. I have 8yr/80,000 mi warranty, so it will cost me $100. He seems to think all will be covered, but will not know until he sees the inside of differential ?

Quick Reply: rear differntial