2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Weird heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Dodgesxt04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird heater problem

So,
I was on a trip to detroit and half way through my orange engine light came on so i looked it up and it said i needed to get an emissions test. Anyways, shortly after that my heater acted up really bad. It will only let me run it on high and the settings are messed up as well. It won't blow just to the foot area. While it's blowing the foot area it will also blow out to the windshield. It won't let me select certain areas. I have no clue what is up. I appreciate your help! I really do. Thanks!

-Seth

Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: Weird heater problem

The blower only running on high is usually the blower resistor. When the resistor blows out, it is supposed to be designed to let the high speed still work. I don't think it would cause your other problem with the selector though. That is usually a vacumm problem.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
JasonA
Veteran

The air mix door problem (usually vacuum-related) and the check engine light may be related. The best thing you can do is go to AutoZone or some place that will read your codes for you. Report back with what the DTCs are (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). There should be at least one that starts with "P"...such as P0442 or something like that.

Without the code, it'll be hard to help.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Dodgesxt04

It wasn't the check engine light that was on. I forgot to mention that it was the Malfunction indicator light. I asked Auto Zone about it and they didn't have an answer. They couldn't run tests because it was not engine related.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

its a dealer part over the passengers feet on the blower hoiusing its about 15-$20

Quick Reply: Weird heater problem