2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hello and intro

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
JasonA
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and intro

I joined a few days ago. I recently bought a 1997 Dakota Sport for $3000. It's a 2WD model, Club Cab, with the 318 and 44RE. Runs very well for the miles (168k). The exterior is probably 6/10, and the interior probably 8-9/10. Very comfortable truck. I know the previous owner, and know it was reasonably well-cared for, mechanically. Didn't see many washes, but that's in the past now. It does have a nice dual exhaust system with a Flowmaster 40-series. I was never much for Flowmaster mufflers behind Mustang 5.0s and Chevy 350s, but it sounds real nice behind this 318, and noise levels in the cab are very low.

Previous owner installed a 3" body lift and the tires are near-new BFG 32x11.50 All Terrain KOs. I may rather have 31s, but haven't decided yet. I've listed the 32s for sale in the classifieds section, and if anybody wants them for the price, I will change over. But anyway, the truck looks pretty good from 20 feet. I'm a perfectionist, though, so it'll be a small project for me to get it back to looking real nice. My other car is a near-perfect Cadillac STS with White Diamond paint and my wife has a Chrysler Town & Country we just bought last year. Prior was an '03 Grand Caravan.

Looking forward to positively participating here, and getting some help in return. Currently working on a few DTCs (P0443 and P0138), so I'll post my progress with those.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 AM
BlackOut04
Professional
Default RE: Hello and intro

Welcome to the forum. Got any pics of your truck? im thinking about doing a 3" body lift on mine.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 AM
JasonA
Veteran

Pics? Yes, here is a gallery of first day home pictures.

http://jnjadcock.spaces.live.com/pho...8E0BA630A!255/

When I was told it had a body lift, before I saw it in person, I wasn't too crazy about that (I don't generally care for body lifts). But it looks pretty good. I'll eventually buy or make some gap guards for the rear wheel house, so you can't see between the bed and the frame. The 32" tires clear the body 100%. The only rubbing is on the frame, at full lock, or close to it. I'm surprised they cleared the body with just a body lift. The suspension is otherwise completely stock. Something's rattling in the front. I think I may need to replace the shocks up there (one makes a spongey noise) and the stabilizer bar links and bushings.

Those bar links and bushings is a notorious weak point on 4th generation Mopar minivans. Is the hardware on the Dakota known to be tough, or is it the first suspect if you have noisy suspension, like it is on the vans?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Welcome to the site.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Welcome too

I wish I had a v8, if I don't sell my truck im doing a 5.9L swap.

The body doesn't look too bad. It's a truck they all get roughed up a bit...
Do some engine mods, your truck will rip. These things with the v8's can do a lot of damage for a mid size truck. Most don't offer v8.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 AM
JasonA
Veteran

Thanks guys. The V-8 runs very strong. It'll turn the tires over with ease, even the 32s (I was surprised). We had the 318 in a '96 Grand Cherokee, and it didn't seem quite as spritely as this one. I'm sure this truck is lighter by 500+ pounds, which helps a lot.

The only thing I plan to do to the engine for now is getting rid of the large stock airbox. I have a K&N cone filter left over from a previous job, and it fits INSIDE the fender very well -- the access hole on the passenger side for the headlight. I can seal that up with rubber and plumb an intake hose to the plenum relatively easily I think.

Quick Reply: Hello and intro