2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Two questions (stereo, suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:28 AM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions (stereo, suspension)

Two questions for yall:
one; does anybody else have a problem where they have a loose connection to one of their speakers. i thought i just had it blown but every time i go over a bump (at the beginning only really big ones, now every little crack) the speakers crack and pop. this only happens with the front right but even when i have the fade to the rear it makes that noise. to me it could potentially be a loose wire here or there because it seems to get worse and worse.

two: i live in colorado and it gets really cold, does anybody else have issues with the front susspention making creaking and just moaning noises when going over bumps (like speed bumps)? it really bothers me but nothing seems to be like messed up. how would i lubricate it to where i didnt make these noises any more? anybody else have that problem?

any tips/suggestions appreciated... thanks

Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Two questions (stereo, suspension)

as far as the suspention goes i rememeber that mine used to squeal in the front when i would go over bumps but it seemed to go away when they replaced the right side ball joints after inspection. i only had the truck for a day tho before it went back in the shop for the rear end rebuild and i haven't had it for almost two weeks now since i've been at school so im not 100 percent sure that it doesn't do it now tho.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 AM
JasonA
Veteran

The suspension creaking over moderate slow bumps (like speed bumps) is likely due to one of three causes:

1) Sway bar bushings. These mount the sway bar to the frame. Cheap to replace. While you're in there, also check the links. The links contain both a pair of compression bushings and a ball-and-socket joint. They're about $30/ea to replace, depending on the source.

2) Control arm bushings. Self explanatory. Parts are relatively cheap, but labor won't be, if you pay to have it done.

3) Shocks. Shocks that have lost their gas charge or that have aerated fluid will make a squeaking noise like that. But it's most likely either #1 or #2 above. Try #1 first, it's cheapest and easiest to do.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Brummo
Captain

Mine does that too when it gets cold. once it started to warm up it's been fine. I too thought I might have had bushing etc. issues, but seemd to go after it started warming up again.
Doesn't hurt to check things though.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:57 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Check the boot between the door and the cab. That's a common place for speaker wires to break. Turn on the radio and wiggle that boot and see if the speaker pops. Are the speakers factory, or aftermarket? If they are aftermarket opop the door panel off, and popthe speaker out and make sure the terminals were not making contact with the metal of the door itself.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 PM
JasonA
Veteran

I think I've got an issue with one of my rear speakers, but only with the volume up, so I think it's blown (stock speakers).

It appears that, unfortunately, the entire rear interior trim panel (Club Cab) has to come off to get to that speaker. I hope it's easier than it looks.

Quick Reply: Two questions (stereo, suspension)