2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

JasonA's Exhaust Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:10 PM
JasonA
|
Veteran
Default JasonA's Exhaust Video

I just uploaded this to YouTube. I don't know how quickly it processes, but here is the link anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/v/LUMb6eKvri0

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:55 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Default RE: JasonA's Exhaust Video

sounds pretty good you shoulda done some quick throttle pops up to like 3500 or so so we could here it crackle like i know those mufflers like too[8D]i wanna do another one of mine without the camera shutting off this time. did you use a digital camera or a video camera...because my dad has a nice *** video camera but he refuses to buy the fire wire to upload things to the pc lol oh well.

Old 04-14-2008 | 09:37 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

mines louder....
but yours sounds real good

Old 04-15-2008 | 07:21 AM
JasonA
|
Veteran

I used our digital camera. It's a Canon Powershot IS 3 I think (or something like that). It burns video right to the SD card, so transfers to the computer are as easy as downloading pictures. It'll capture video at 640x480 @ 30 FPS, but I had to dumb it down to 320x250 or something and @ 15 FPS to keep the file size in check.

I really like the sound. Like I said earlier, I was afraid it was going to be too loud, when the previous owner told me it had a Flowmaster muffler (I thought, "oh, great"). And it sounds real "barky" when it starts, but when you start driving, it's pretty low and mellow. Our previous vehicle with a 5.2L V-8 was a '96 Grand Cherokee, and we had a Borla exhaust on that, and it sounded real good -- a bit quieter and even smoother.

Old 04-15-2008 | 02:34 PM
scandal669
Veteran

sounds great! sort of like i want. i like the deep rumble at idle. you think a single muffler would sound about the same? i mean if i just added the muffler to my stock single exhaust...

Old 04-15-2008 | 08:30 PM
JasonA
|
Veteran

It would probably sound similar. Probably a bit quieter, but the tone would likely be close.

Old 04-29-2008 | 11:06 AM
chris1974
Veteran

ORIGINAL: scandal669

sounds great! sort of like i want. i like the deep rumble at idle. you think a single muffler would sound about the same? i mean if i just added the muffler to my stock single exhaust...
If you want a deep rumble without the popping, then yes, I would just add a muffler to your stock exhaust set up. If you go bigger pipe, you will lose torque. I tried a 40 series Flowmaster the first time, but I believe that the baffle design that Flowmaster uses causes the popping when decelerating. I then went with Magnaflow becuase they dont use the baffle design. Deeeep rumble, and hardly no popping. All you hear is pure engine, and that's what I like.

Old 04-29-2008 | 11:32 AM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

if you want rummble and POPS look at mine

Old 04-29-2008 | 11:59 AM
JasonA
|
Veteran

ORIGINAL: chris1974

I tried a 40 series Flowmaster the first time, but I believe that the baffle design that Flowmaster uses causes the popping when decelerating.
If the P.O.'s records didn't say "Flowmaster 40-series muffler", I wouldn't even think it was. It's too quiet. As you can hear from the video, I barely get a burble out of it on deceleration, let alone popping. At cruise speed, you can barely hear it in the truck. I swear it's too quiet for a40-series, but that's what the sheet says.

Edit: I'm sure a 40-series would also sound different on a 3.7/4.7 compared with a 3.9/5.2/5.9 because of the different engine architecture.

Quick Reply: JasonA's Exhaust Video