2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Why are people stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
craig4465
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why are people stupid?

Going back a few years ago i rented a trailer off of a man named nemo lawless. he lived on ducks corners oklahoma, nemo was a studebaker mechanic and was the last authorized mechanic for them in the world. he told me one thing i never forgot . NEVER PUT QUAKER STATE OIL in your motor.
he showed me motor after motor with sludge built up and everytime it was quaker state.
the moral of the story is dont move to oklahoma...... hehe

Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: craig4465

Going back a few years ago i rented a trailer off of a man named nemo lawless. he lived on ducks corners oklahoma, nemo was a studebaker mechanic and was the last authorized mechanic for them in the world. he told me one thing i never forgot . NEVER PUT QUAKER STATE OIL in your motor.
he showed me motor after motor with sludge built up and everytime it was quaker state.
the moral of the story is dont move to oklahoma...... hehe
yeah i've heard that to about them but thats the typical old school answer and quakerstate. the newer stuff isn't as bad anymore there is stuff all over the place on bobtheoilguy.com on this. i still have my disbeliefs in them tho just like that guy told you thats why i switched to mobil 1 a while ago.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to have to take my camera to work next week and take some pics of this thing. It ended up being a warranty job anyway (don't ask...) and so I had to take the heads off of it to send them back......and I had to scrape the headbolts out of the sludge to get to them. The same for the cam cap bolts. So bad that I had to clean my socket out because the stuff was getting packed inside it and it wouldnt go on them anymore. Not to mention made one hell of a mess lol

Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey 00dakR/T i've got a question for you since you are a dodge tech. I had the balljoints on my 01 replaced a few years ago under the recall. Now it seems like the front end pops and creaks alot especially while going slow and turning and i suspect the ball joints are going bad again. is it possible to have them checked and replaced again for free if they are bad? I really dont want to have to do them myself if they are going bad.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

moe in wichita ks

the most important thing about oil is to have lots of zinc in the oil. i have done some searching on the internet on oil, filters, additives. i like to have oil as thick as i can and it still start in cold. so here is what i use, 2001 dak v6. valoline premium blue 15w-40 oil. purolator pl14670 pure one filter, use only a pure one filter that is shown by the p in the part no. then you need to go to zddplus.com site and get some zinc from them. my truck starts ok in the winter, but we normaly dont get below 0 f.
i did have trouble with 20-50 not wanting to turn over in the winter.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you about that...

More than likely you can have your truck checked again, and if the ball joints are bad again they can still be replaced under the recall. I have seen on a few trucks where the sway bar links will pop and it can sound and feel alot like ball joints. If you would rather check them yourself tho, its not too hard to do. Just get the front wheels off the ground and see if there is any play in the wheel.....top to bottom and side to side. If the wheel feels tight, try flexing the sway bar with your hands. If it starts to make noise that way, replace your links

Quick Reply: Why are people stupid?