2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Squeek when releasing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
greenweenie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeek when releasing brakes

I get this wierd squeek occasionally when I let off the brakes from a stand still. I know this is a shot in the dark, but if this is a common problem maybe someone knows what it may be?

Sounds like maybe it's coming from the rear, do these trucks have problems with leaf spring bushings maybe? The rear axle would be loaded up with the tranny in drive and the brakes on sitting at a stop light...

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
300exoh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeek when releasing brakes

If I had to guess I would think it might be your rear brake shoes realeasing. Many times rear brakes get replaced but people get in a hurry and don't lube the contact points where the shoes touch the backing plate. Could also be bushings in the rear leaf springs, sway bar or even the shocks. My best guess is that it is in the rear brakes though.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran

I would have to agree with 300. Its probably your rear brakes. Try this though.....get a couple of cans of good brake clean. Take your wheels and brake drums off and spray all the springs and contact points really good....try to get as much of the brake dust off as you can including any inside the drum....and put it all back together. This should take care of it

Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 PM
greenweenie
Professional

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Squeek when releasing brakes