2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Steering 04 Dakota Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM
thegreatone_55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering 04 Dakota Problem

I recently had a power steering fluid leak on my truck. I brought it to the dealership and they diagnosed the problem as the power steering pump. So I ordered a power steering pump through the dealership and I installed it. I brought it to my mechanic and we discovered that the high pressure hose was leaking fluid, so we replaced it with a used hose since I was quoted for $125 for the hose. Now I've notice driving it for a couple days that I have some spots in my steering gets very stiff. Therefore, I'm wondering what is causing this stiffness in the ares of the steering.
Is my new power steering pump faulty?
Will the dealership take back my new power steering pump after being used for a couple days? (I was thinking of installing the old pump back since I think they misdiagnose the problem and it was only one of my hoses leaking)
Is air in the power steering system causing the stiffness? (i did bleed the system out, or tried to anyways)
Would the 'used hose' cause this problem?

Any suggestions on what my problem is and how to deal with the dealership about the power steering system would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power Steering 04 Dakota Problem

I wish someone would chime in on this as well. I have an 06. 28,000 miles. I just started getting stiff spots on and off in my steering too. Sometimes i will be in the middle of a wide long turn, and it will get stiff, or become loose, and i have to compensate. Its very very slight, but still.

I also had work done about 2000 miles prior to this problem. I needed to get a faulty sterring shaft replaced.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM
thegreatone_55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Steering 04 Dakota Problem

It seems like I have no power steering anymore...it basically comes and goes...is it my new power steering pump failing? It was a chrysler remanufactured pump. I'm thinking of installing my old pump back in to see what that does.

Quick Reply: Power Steering 04 Dakota Problem