2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dak won't start - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 AM
DaveinSoCal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dak won't start - Please Help!

Problem started the other day when I started my '98 dak (2.5 w/5 speed) and noted a "check guages" light on the dash. So I looked and saw the amp guage needle only 1/4 way up...uh oh, looks like alternator went bad. Drove home & pulled alternator and took it to Autozone for a bench test. Tested OK. Went home and put it back on and charged the batt. Been driving that way (charging batt every day) for a few days.

Yesterday I noted that the fuse closest to the batt cables, in the power distribution center was burned out. Couldn't find another 140 amp fuse in town so laid a small peice of metal across the fuse to make a connection. Started the engine and sparks flew from the fuse and almost melted the little peice of metal. Sounds like a short somewhere. Had a mechanic do a quick test and he said even though the alternator tested good there could be something wrong with it. He said the black wire from the batt to the alt was "dead". How does a wire go dead?

Later I started it up to leave work and it started spitten', sputtered and died. Got it started again and in a few seconds it ran fine. Went to Napa to price a new alternator and when I came out it wouldn't start. Turns over fine; batt charged up enough, but won't even begin to start. Had it towed home, put on a new alternator but same problem.

I'm sorry for the long post, but that's the only way I could fully describe the problem. I'm hoping you guys can come up with the answer as the garage want $80 just to diagnose. Thanks for any help you can give me. Dave

Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 PM
DaveinSoCal
Default RE: Dak won't start - Please Help!

Somethin' else: poured some gas down the throttle body this morning and it starts up and runs fine. Shut it down and try to start it without doing that and it won't start. Any ideas?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dak won't start - Please Help!

moe in wichita ks
i have never seen a 140 amp fuse, but iam not saying you dont have one. could it be a circuit breaker? you may havea bad conection some where. dead wire? what i have seenis one end will have a no conection between the cable and the metal end, sound crazy but it does happen. you cant see it cause its inside.

Quick Reply: Dak won't start - Please Help!