2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001-02 545RFE flash possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:44 PM
mprtech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001-02 545RFE flash possible

First post, nice forum.

I'm a 13 Mopar master tech and I've found a way to flash my 01 4.7 45rfe with 545 software. I have tested it for 3 weeks now and have had no negative results. This fix is possible for 01-02 Dakotas, 01 Durangos with 4.7/RFE and 02 Ram DR trucks with 4.7/3.7RFE. 2002 Dakotas had a middle to late year changeover to NGC controllers, so if you have a 02 Dakota and your PCM has only 3 connectors then this will work for you. If you have 4 connectors there is no fix at the moment.

This is also possible just by swapping in a 01-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 TCM. The 01 TCM might not have 545 to begin with but it is flashable to gain 545.

I started this by swapping in a 2002 Jeep TCM. It worked instantly with no other mods. Because I could I did a quicklearn but only after the initial road test. Right out of the box it shifted well and had 5 forward gears. According to me and at least 3 others that have done this so far, TCC stays engaged much longer without constantly coming out and going back in. The shift characteristics are much improved over the Dodge software.

The only downside to this is: TCC gets bumped up to 50mph instead of the 40 we have with Dodge software. The only Jeep TCM that locks up at anything less than 50 is the AC prefix 04 TCM. But the AC software has issues, there is an update to take it to AD prefix, and the AD prefix has TCC back a 50mph.

So you may take a hit on milage in between 40 and 50 to gain up to 3mpg back above 54.

The Jeep TCM applies the 5th gear at precisely 54mph.

You can find used TCM's using car-part.com. I also have been offering a TCM swap program for $40 including shipping. I ship you a TCM with 04 Jeep software and you ship me your old one back. This is a pretty good deal due to most used TCM's are over $80 alone.

If anyone has any questions feel free. I have a post over at dodgetalk.com with near 1000 views and 80 replys. Its a good read, I put alot of time into this.

Long first post I know.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mprtech,
I realise this is an old thread but are you still doing the flashing? Even if you're not, could you please tell me a definitive answer as to if this can be done to a 2000 Dakota.

I read a lot about this when I first got my Dakota but it looked like nothing could be done for my year. Having recently had 4.10 gears fitted, I decided to look up these old threads to see if anyone has come up with anything new.

My understanding is that I can either try and get my existing TCM flashed to 04 Jeep GC spec or better still buy another TCM, either original 04 Jeep or one that has already been flashed.

I understand that whilst it should work perfectly mechanicly, there are a couple of minor faults like the RPND21 LIGHTS not functioning properly and the occasional CEL/ABS light flashing on briefly. I'm prepared to acept all of this if it means getting the RMP down a bit!

Finally, as I live in London, England, how much would you charge for one of your flashed units without getting my old one in exchange (better to keep it if things don't work properly)?

Regards,
DakinUK

Quick Reply: 2001-02 545RFE flash possible