2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Barry J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid

My tranny in my 2002 Dakota quad cab, has never really been the best shifting tranny I've had.
But, recently it seems to be getting worse (85,000miles)
I brought it into a tranny shop and had them do a fluid change last October. They didn't say anything looked bad.
It started "mis-shifting" one day, so i pulled the dip stick and it needed some fluid, so I added a quart. It seemed to help the problem.
For awhile at least...until last week, It felt like it was doing it again.
Today I decided to check it again. Following the directions in the owners manual, (running temp, neutral, E-brake on, check the stick)
It was low, so I put a half a quart in again.
What could be the problem...I have no noticable leaks...awhile ago, after driving home from work..I would smell a faint burning smell. Never could find the cause.
Could this be my tranny fluid burning, thus creating low fluid levels???
I have a stock tranny cooler in place, plus idiot lights that should sense a problem.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Barry

Old 05-16-2008, 01:13 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Tranny fluid

ORIGINAL: Barry J

My tranny in my 2002 Dakota quad cab, has never really been the best shifting tranny I've had.
But, recently it seems to be getting worse (85,000miles)
I brought it into a tranny shop and had them do a fluid change last October. They didn't say anything looked bad.
It started "mis-shifting" one day, so i pulled the dip stick and it needed some fluid, so I added a quart. It seemed to help the problem.
For awhile at least...until last week, It felt like it was doing it again.
Today I decided to check it again. Following the directions in the owners manual, (running temp, neutral, E-brake on, check the stick)
It was low, so I put a half a quart in again.
What could be the problem...I have no noticable leaks...awhile ago, after driving home from work..I would smell a faint burning smell. Never could find the cause.
Could this be my tranny fluid burning, thus creating low fluid levels???
I have a stock tranny cooler in place, plus idiot lights that should sense a problem.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Barry
Does the tranny fluid smell "burnt" (Take a new jug, and see what it smells like, and smell the old stuff..) Could also be you got a hole in the rad, and it caused the coolant/tranny fluid it intertwine, but you would see it on the dip stick...

Might just need a band adjustment, if the band is too worn, than you will need a new one, which is a rebuild... But if you do that, I would upgrade to heavy duty parts. (Everything possible, clutch, baskets, plantetry gears) The internals cost like 500 stock, and for upgraded it's about 200 more, but should be well worth the strength... Also, make sure you get all the internals replaced, here I could have gotten a completely rebuilt one for 2,000 , top to bottom brand new, but i opted for a cheaper options which I wish I didn't but it did hold up. (The top to bottom one only reuses the case)

Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: varsis

Does the tranny fluid smell "burnt" (Take a new jug, and see what it smells like, and smell the old stuff..) Could also be you got a hole in the rad, and it caused the coolant/tranny fluid it intertwine, but you would see it on the dip stick...

Might just need a band adjustment, if the band is too worn, than you will need a new one, which is a rebuild... But if you do that, I would upgrade to heavy duty parts. (Everything possible, clutch, baskets, plantetry gears) The internals cost like 500 stock, and for upgraded it's about 200 more, but should be well worth the strength... Also, make sure you get all the internals replaced, here I could have gotten a completely rebuilt one for 2,000 , top to bottom brand new, but i opted for a cheaper options which I wish I didn't but it did hold up. (The top to bottom one only reuses the case)
+1

Very good info varsis posted up, as that is indeed some of what I had intended to say. Other things to consider or know:

1.) Dakota Transmissions are not known for being great, most have issues. Even if the tranny is okay but is messing up, I'd opt for a complete rebuild

2.) I've own 2 Dakotas, both had silicone instead of traditional gaskets on the tranny pan. Silicone cracks, and it leaks, but not enough to notice unless you are really **** about it. I knew about it, so I constantly kept an eye out. You may need to have them reseal the tranny pan, because thats what happened to me. Went in for a tranny flush/filter replacement, and they sealed it up but the silicone cracked and it leaked. Had low fluid. That was on a 2001 Clubcab.

My suggestion is the same as varsis's, if you need a rebuild, do it right and invest in the performance and reliability rather then a quick fix. That is, unless your going to dump the truck soon, then just get it working again. Hope this helps...

Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Barry J

I thought I was told that that transmission did not have bands???
Anyway, this might by a stupid question, but when you said to check if the fluid smelt burnt..I would have to do this while it's running at operating temperature, right??
Thanks for the advise on what to get for a rebuild, but, I'm tring to hold out on the rebuild, until I have to. I will keep the info, for when I do it.
As for the leak possibility, what would be the best way to see that type of leak??
There are absolutely no stains or liquid on the ground where I park...does it have to be running to leak???
I could place a piece of cardboard down, but like I said, no visibile signs on the ground.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid