2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
View Poll Results: A poll
Superchips Max Tuner
100.00%
Hypertech Max Performance
0%
Hypertech Max Energy E-con
0%
Hypertech Power Programmer lll
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Which Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Which Tuner?

We over in the Durango 1st Gen. side have stumbled on a question maybe you can help?

I am looking for a tuner for my ride. I tow up to 7100 lbs travel trailer sometimes as well as I just like to get down and dirty on the trails or on the road. I want power and performance as well as torque for pulling. Now I know the better tune would be a custom flash but I don't have anyone here in town to set me up for my upgrades. I am thinking about just using a tuner. Besides, it incorporates the OB-ll as well which I want.

Now then, I saw the new Max (Performance) Power tuner from Hypertech is available. This tuner incorporates being able to plug into a computer for upgrades. Not quite sure why but it's a nice prize. I want to know if anyone has used the program or know of how to hack it. The reason I ask this is that they are built for OEM and my truck isn't close. Second, I don't want any transmission upgrading. This is already done manually. It would be sweet to load an overall program designed for your rig!

Since our trucks are so close and incorporate a lot of the same partsI figure I'd ask. Anyway thanks for looking and don't forget to vote!

BTWß--We are talking about the issue over in the Durango 1st Gen room. Here is a link. Computer Tune

Old 05-17-2008, 02:01 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Which Tuner?

None of the Tuners can change anything on the tranny on Daks and Durangos with the 5.9

so dont worry about tranny changes.

It will allow you to change between diffrent octane gases for whatever you want to do, like tow or Race.

a Custom Flash wouldnt be that great if you tow alot, the Mopar PCM itself says not to use it if your going to tow.

So a Tuner or SCT TUNE is the only way to go, and superchips is the best way to go for the money.

if you have the money to blow, you can use the new tech and go with SCT Custom Tunes.. google SCT and you will see what im talking about. Its basicly a piggyback but more like a stand alone.. lol.. doesnt make since, but thats what it does you still have to use your pcm, but you can EDIT anything on the PCM maps and have fie tunes done. and diffrent tunes can me loaded for whatever you want to do, you can have a tune for towin, racing and highway drving and each time you can load it up to the pcm.. its kinda expensive though up in the thousands but its also only like 3 or 4 months old.. maybe less. I know Marty at KRC does the Tunes, and some local shops, along with AIR_Ram.

but all in all, i would just go with the Superchips, unless your one of those people that has to have the best of the best.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I like having a great machine but you look at my year of truck and you can see that I don't need the best.

Having a tow, race, and Hwy setting would be nice but the Max Performance tuner has that option.

The only problem I have with the SCT tuner is that even tho you can custom order it, you flat out can get it the way you need it unless it is installed in the truck and dino'ed.

I talked about this in the post. I don't have anyone around here to fully tune my rig in. So if I go with a regular tune that has the same characteristics then it should be fine right?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:21 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with superchips if you dont wanna go with the SCT

Old 05-17-2008, 04:04 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hypertech is GM Based..