2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 08:38 AM
mikekelly77
|
Default Transfer Case

I have a 2001 Dakota SLT 4x4 with the 4.7L. Went offroading this weekend and when I hit some soft sand, the transfer case started making a bad noise. It sounds like the clinking of a roller coaster going up the hill to start the ride....clink, clink, clink. The noise is louder at slow speed, but still there at full speed.

I pulled off the front tire and put the truck on jackstands. The shaft going into the transfer case is obviously loose. Could anyone help by telling me how I figure out if the problem is the shaft or the case? What should I be looking for. If I take the shaft off and needed to, could the truck be driven to the mechanics in rear wheel drive with no shaft?

Thanks in advance....

Old 05-27-2008 | 11:24 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transfer Case

Im assuming you mean the front drive shaft. Yes you can take it off and drive to a mechanic. My guess if you did something weird which would suck. Clink doesn't sound good... But it might be a loose drive shaft now, bad u joint.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case