2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine light on....then off.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 PM
DodgeDaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light on....then off.......

My 2001 Dak...has had its engine light on for like 3 months...I know what the codes were...and it wasent anything that was too bad...so I just let it go. well now It has to go through Emissions...and I have to get it fixed. well the codes were as follows...P0442 Evap Control sys leak( small)
P0455 Evap Sys leak ( Gross)
P0432 Main Catalyst efficiency below Threshold ( bank 2 )

well the other day I replaced a small hose on the evap system...and 23 miles later I noticed the engine light went off. It has been off now for 4 days...have driven 100's of miles...and its still off...so I thought..well that one little hose must of fixed the whole mess.
So i took it to my Brothers house and put a scan tool on it...and one of the codes popped up...and I erased it....engine light is still off.... so I GO TO RUN IT THROUGH EMISSIONS...and its says that unable to run test due to readiness monitors not set.
catalyst
Evaporative System
Oxygen Sensor heater

I was told to drive it some...so I drove it 103 miles...went back and tried again..this time it came up with everything but the catalyst...so the 100 miles made that ready...I still have the other 2 not ready.

I was also told that I might need to let it set....and wait for about 8 hrs for a cold start...that should set the other ones...does this sound right?

Also a tech told me that replacing that hose...didnt fix everything...so It sounds like I still have a finicky Cat...and Im hoping that damn Engine light stays off until after I get it through emissions.

If anyone can fill me in if all the info i have been told so far is acurate...that would be great!

Thanks a bunch

Quick Reply: Engine light on....then off.......