2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil Seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Seal

I've got a small oil leak coming from the oil seal where the rear prop shaft goes into the transfer case. I got my local dealer to get the seal and despite giving the VIN it was wrong (too small). he got me the only other alternative (after giving ALL the numbers off the T. Case) and its still not right. Whilst on vacation in the States I went to a dealer and he again showed me the same seals that I'd got over here!
Mine is a 2000 4.7 auto with the AWD transfer box. the current seal has quite a large rubber boot on it which neither of the two seals I've been offered have got. Does anyone know if this seal has been supeceeded with one without a boot? I can try and atttach a picture if it helps. The leak is very minor so I'll leave it and just keep an eye on the level if it can't be replaced.

Thanks,

Paul.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:20 PM
2001DodgeMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Seal

Paul,it wouldn't hurt to attach a picture,that might help,someone might see that and maybe give you a answer on where to find the right seal for your truck. I hate leaks as well.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would very much like to add some pictures but I'm not sure how too! The picures I took were very poor quality ans I used my phone. I'll use my camara over the weekend and if anyone can let me know how to attatch pictures to these posts or point me in the right direction to look (tried the Search facility here) I'd be most greatful.

Thanks,

Paul.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
2001DodgeMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you do a reply look where it says "Click here to upload" and click on Embed picture in post your pictures will be posted. Like this picture:

First picture is a link to a picture of my scope via the yellow box to the right(with mountain and sun) in the tool bar,the second pic is a uploaded picture(not sure why it doesn't show,just click on the thumbnail) of my dog Rose. You can do it both ways.

Quick Reply: Oil Seal