2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A/C won't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Agemenon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C won't work

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Just bought my first Dodge truck. I seem to be having problems with the A/C. At first I thought that it was out of refridgerent, but I had it recharged and it's still not working. I started the engine and observed the A/C compressor and noticed that the engine was turning the pulley, but the pulley wouldn't unlock itself so that it could be turned. What are the components to this compressor and how would a guy go about investigating the cure of this problem.

Thanks,
Agemenon

Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Agemenon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A/C won't work

Anyone?!?!?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: A/C won't work

Sounds like the compressormight belocked up. If it is, you can get a good quality remanufactured compressor at Napa for about $300. You will also have to replace the accumulator/drier and fixed orifice tube in order to validate the warranty on the compressor. You will need to have the AC evacuated first then you can replace the parts and have it recharged. I had to replace my own compressor not long ago, and a local garage quoted $650 just todo the compressor only. Ihad them evacuate it for $30.00and replaced the parts myself then had another shop recharge the system for me. My AC cools to 34 degrees now. I just replaced the blower motor resistor pack (itwasonly 15 bucks at theDodgedealer) and my AC blows a lot stronger now too. Itwas pretty weak before that.It is a good idea to run an AC flush agent through the system before replacing the parts. I didn't do it in mine, though.I don't even know if a flush will work if the compessor won't engage to begin with. You can visit www.aircondition.com for a lot of info on automotive AC. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: A/C won't work