2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Manual Tranny fluid and Transfer Case fluid change: EASY

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:23 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Tranny fluid and Transfer Case fluid change: EASY

Just wanted to tell everyone how easy it is to change the fluid in your tranfser case and manual tranny. I was really looking for an answer to this when I was thinking about doing it so I figured ill let you all know and hopefully inspire someone to do it themselve. I put ATF+4 into the transfer case and used the type of lid that comes on a gear lube bottle. It was really simple just make sure the pan you empty the old stuff into is not right under the whole the fluid shot like a foot out when i opened it and only like 1/4 of the fluid made it into the pan the rest on the garage floor lol. The transmission fluid change was the harder just because it took me forever to find a 17mm hex bolt. Once i found that it was simple unscrew the filler plug then unscrew the drain plug plug it back up put a quart in move the gears around and then add a quart or whatever it takes to fill it till it comes out the fill hole. I'm very glad i did it andthe tranny seems to shift a lot smoother and not clunk as much, i'm very satisfied. Hope this inspires someone to try this out themselve and save some money and keep your lubes fresh. Just make sure your on a flat surface so everythings level.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 PM
2001DodgeMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual Tranny fluid and Transfer Case fluid change: EASY

Wish you had took pics of what you was doing in the process of both......

Old 07-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Dodge Rules
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual Tranny fluid and Transfer Case fluid change: EASY

its not really that hard i dont have a transfer case but i do have a munaual tranny. I will take pictures of the two plug holes when i get my truck back together from my heater core change. The hardest part for me was pumping the oil bacj into the tranny it was kinda time consuming but it was worth it in the long end. all you have to pay for is oil. good luck i know this does not help that much but i will get the pictures up as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny fluid and Transfer Case fluid change: EASY