2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Computer OK but not communicating.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Captain Mickey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer OK but not communicating.

My dakota 98 computer checks out OK, but truck is dead, no fire or fuel pump. Mechanic says his reader won't communicate wit it. ACE computer rebuilder says my computer is live.

What should I test and how?
thanks!!!

~Michael

Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Computer OK but not communicating.

if the scan tool is not communicating with it, theres a problem with it. find a shop with modius *snap-on scan tool* and see if that can communicate with it.. its the second best thing next to the actual dealership computer, which you want to steer clear of them unless it's your honest to god last resort. check your PCM wiring, for any premature grounding, short circuits. just look at common areas the wires would rub up against the body and other components.

and if the PCM is working, which i dont believe so if a scan tool cant talk to it, make sure you check all your fuses and relays to make sure they are working properly. your auto shut down relay will play a vital role in this as well. to top it off make sure that coil is good as well.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ASD relay is suspect. Pull it and jumper terminals 87 & 30. If the truck runs once you've done that, either the relay is bad or it's not getting key-on power or ground

Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce

ASD relay is suspect. Pull it and jumper terminals 87 & 30. If the truck runs once you've done that, either the relay is bad or it's not getting key-on power or ground
i would swap it with a known good relay versus chancing doing harm to the circuit, that relay is also there for protection

Quick Reply: Computer OK but not communicating.