2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating?

After reading the reasent post on a similar subject i thought I'd better check with you guys to see if you think there's a problem with my 4.7. I was towing my caravan at the weekend on the highway with the cruise set to 60mph. It was about 85 degrees so I had the AC on. Its not big by US standards, only a single axle, weighing about 2200 pounds. On the flat the temp gauge would be staright up in the 12 o'clock possition but on any inclines it would move towards the red. It would get to about 1/4" from the red, say 1 o'clock and would take a long time to go back to normal.I have a 180 stat fitted and in similar conditions without the caravan it would be around the 11 o'clock possition. I know the electric fan runs continusly when the AC was on and that was blowing cold so I assume that was fine. I would have expected the clutch fan to have engaged but didn't hear it.
All I want to know is if this is normal or whether to fan clutch needs looking at. What temp should it engage?

Thanks,
Paul.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Overheating?

moe in wichita ks
did you check if there is dirt, leaves ect in the front of the rad?

Quick Reply: Overheating?