2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission stopped pulling

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:13 AM
DakotaRacer71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission stopped pulling

Yes i know my tranny is screwed, but i want to tell the story and get some feedback.

Back in January my transmission in my 5.2 2wd Dakota started slipping... i checked the fluid and it was fine. Didn't seem burnt or anything. Well about a week later while i was "nursing" it to and from work, it lost second gear. I could let off and allow it to go into third but if it kicked down it was like nothing there. While i was trying to get it back home it lost all pull. I was .5 miles from the house and had only one more road to turn on. When i pushed the gass it just sat there and mode a loud wineing noise.

So i said "Screw it! Its done! Park it!". Called my buddy to tow it and when he got there he wanted to take a look and started the truck, put it in gear, AND IT DROVE,,, about 100 yards and went to no pull. Got it home, parked it, and it has sat for 7 months. I bought a house and went to tow it to my new garage a couple weeks back. I put it in gear to show my moms boyfriend what it was doing and one of his buddy's think i might have broken the tourque converter because it wouldn't start pulling till about 3000 RPM... I'm taking it to a transmission shop next week to have them look/repair/rebuild it. Just wanted to see if any od you guy have any thoughts about it...

Also i have been looking at TransGo shift kits... They have Shift kits and Reprogram kits

The shift kit is the top and the reprogram is the bottom... Which would do me better for a drag/road race app?
shift.jpg

Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 PM
troy00690

Same thing happened to me. I went over some train tracks and then heard some clunking and banging noise and then it was like I was in Netural. I put it into netural and let the RPMs settle back down to 700 rpm and then put it back in drive. Heard another big cluck and then nothing was there. I have 2 codes but I don't see how those could be a problem with it going into gear. I can put the shift lever in any gear and it does nothing. The codes I have are P0720 and P0715.

I am Looking for answers because I am a single dad with his only car broken.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:26 PM
DakotaRacer71

well the P0720 is the speed sensor... i had mine go out about 2 years back... transmission wouldn't shift outta 1st... it was $22 at autozone and screws into the side of the transmission...

as far as P0715 i looked on the "Check Engine Codes" list that is stickied on the top of the forums and it wasn't listed

Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 PM
troy00690

Think that would stop it from shifting into any gear. When I move the shifter lever there is nothing. There is also a Whine coming from the engine. When I turn the truck off you can hear something still spinning for about 4 seconds after motor stops.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Old 08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
DakotaRacer71

sounds to me that you broke the bolts off the Torque converter

edit thank you Varsis

Quick Reply: Transmission stopped pulling