2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

transtemp, and od on/off turn on

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
tom.caruso66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transtemp, and od on/off turn on

I have 2001 Dakota, v6, 4wd automatic trans with od. The tranny was rebuilt 4k miles ago. Recently the truck has developed several problems with the following symptoms
Start the car, idle is good 650 >700, place the car in drive and without touching the accelerator the car begins to move on it's on until it reaches about 20 mph. Now if I accelerate to say 30 and remove my foot the car continues to go 30 until I brake. If I brake to say 20 and remove my foot form the brake and still not touching the accelerator the cat maintains this speed.
Additionally, when I'm braking it feels as though I'm trying to accelerate at the same time.
Finally after driving the car for approximately 20 miles, the trans/temp and od on/ off light come on. I have to park it as soon as that happens and the trans smells really hot.
So, my local guy gave it a tune-up, (runs good but didn't resolve) and my dodge dealer did the computer analysis but found nothing. They want to change out the radiator thinking that tranny core is plugged. I'm not convinced and somehow I think they're related. I have owned this since it was new so I know how it behaves and right now it's mis-behaving. Anyone got any ideas? I've cleaned the Throttle body and checked all the electrical connections. The computer analyzers that the dealer used displayed no codes to guide them..

Thanks,
Tom

Old 08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

I would get an external aux cooler, and remove the one way check valve... The check valves tend to get clogged some time to time in some vehicles.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM
tom.caruso66
Default Trans Temp

I agree that installing the aux cooler could solve the trans temp problem. I don't think that this addresses the symptom where the vehicle wants to go as soon at the shifter is placed in drive. Somehow I still think that they're related.

Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate your response
Tom

Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm... first of all i would go get that overheating issue a good look at with a good system flush and get that check valve removed, and yes it sounds like your factory trans cooler has junk built up in it. with the take off issue, i have the same setup as you and given the right road conditions, mine will accelerate up to 15 mph, some do it some don't. mine will also maintain a low speed cruise. i dont think the transmission would be related to your " it wants to take off" problem. it's laying power to the ground and it only does it with the engine running at a certain speed, but it also could be your torque converter has a problem with it. was it replaced with the rebuild? idealy every time the transmission is rebuilt, the torque converter is replaced, and the cooler lines are reversed flushed. i would suspect an incomplete job.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
tazzmenn

Originally Posted by f0x672
hmm... first of all i would go get that overheating issue a good look at with a good system flush and get that check valve removed, and yes it sounds like your factory trans cooler has junk built up in it. with the take off issue, i have the same setup as you and given the right road conditions, mine will accelerate up to 15 mph, some do it some don't. mine will also maintain a low speed cruise. i dont think the transmission would be related to your " it wants to take off" problem. it's laying power to the ground and it only does it with the engine running at a certain speed, but it also could be your torque converter has a problem with it. was it replaced with the rebuild? idealy every time the transmission is rebuilt, the torque converter is replaced, and the cooler lines are reversed flushed. i would suspect an incomplete job.
I agree with your suspicion sounds logical.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
tom.caruso66

I'll try the auxiliary cooler and removing the check valve to see if that resolves the temperature issue. As far as I know that torque converter was replaced. Not sure about the flush though, I know I had the dealer do that sometime ago. Complete flush including the converter.
Thanks for your ideas and recommendations.
Tom

Quick Reply: transtemp, and od on/off turn on