2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

another problem, wtf

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:29 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default another problem, wtf

it seems like the daks i live with have conspired to **** me off. My buddy's 02 4.7just had to have the central timer module replaced after hours of wasting time trying to figure out the problem. My 88 has no brakes for some reason and I dont feel like fooling around with it. And now, my 2001 3.9 has some kind of A/C, Heater issue. I was using the A/C and it was working fine, turned the truck off and went into the store. when I came back and started it up, there was no air comming out. tried fooling around with the switches, no hot or cold air will come out. I can hear the A/C compressor kicking on/off but nothing happens on any setting. also, at night it looks like about half the lights behind the panel with the a/c ***** and stuff are not on when they would normally be illuminated green. is there a fuse or something in particular anyone knows about that might cause this, i seriously dont have time for problems right now or i would try troubleshooting myself. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the blower motor resistor may be defective. Has it ever been replaced? It costs about $15 or $20 at the dealer and is easy to replace. When they go bad there is no air from the vents. Use the Dodge Dealer part only. Dodge recently redesigned the resistor packs with better and more durable parts and you can only buy the new ones at the dealer. Blower resistor is a pretty common problem on Dakota's.

As for the lights not working, it sounds like the bulbs might have burned out. Did all this happen at the same time or were the lights on the AC panel out before the AC quit? If so it may be something else besides the resistor and bulbs, maybe the control head for the climate controls is bad.

Jimmy

Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

i think it all happened at the same time, where is the blower resister located? thanks

Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

There is a how to posted here:https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...motor+resistor. Is not hard at all.

Jimmy

Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

thanks but im not sure if that's it or not. that already happened to me once where it would only come on when it was on the highest setting and i got it fixed. this time nothing happens at all on any setting not even on high.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

You might try a new or a junk yard control head but according to my 01 Dakota Service Manual you need the dealer DRB 3 tool to really diagnose the AC if it won't turn on at all. Not good news I know. At least the light bulbs in the control head are replaceable though.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: another problem, wtf