2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Map sensor question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map sensor question.

How often does the map sensor go out on Dakotas? Just curious.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM
syllinx
Veteran

Sorry for asking another question lol. Can you recalibrate a tps sensor? I read that you have to do this

1. With the engine off, insert the key and turn the ignition to position 2 (On) without starting the engine.
2. For MEMS-equipped cars (S1), quickly press and release the accelerator pedal several times (at least 5, but to be sure 8 or 9) using as much of the throttle travel as practicable. This will trigger the ECU into the closed-throttle reference learn algorithm, which has it looking for the lowest measured static throttle position (the closed position). The throttle position calibration is a fixed definition from this point.
3. Turn the ignition off, remove the key and wait for the ECU to power down (about 30-40s).
4. Start car as normal.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:15 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know about common problems with the MAP sensor. I have not heard or read about it happening much. I don't think it is possible to recalibrate a TPS. There is a mod you can do to get the optimum voltage out of and therefore the optimum signal to the PCM from the TPS. It involves drilling out the brass inserts in the screw holes so you can turn the sensor one way or the other while you monitor the out put voltage. I think they say .7 volts is best but I may be wrong on that. It is said to give better throttle response. You can search here or Google it to find out more.

Jimmy

Old 08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default Thanks.

If I can get help ill try the mod cause my truck is slow as hell lol.

Quick Reply: Map sensor question.