2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Barry J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator

Recently when I shut off my truck, I've been hearing some "gurgling" coming from my engine compartment. Then the other night I came home from work and my coolant gauge was heading for the "max" level. The coolant (overheating) light did not come on yet, but one more mile and it would have.
I check out the level of the overflow reservior and it was almost to the top. So I let it cool down, and then
I opened the radiator cap and started the engine...let it get to operating temp and checked the level at the neck. And it was not even close to being full.
So, it seems that my fluid was going into the overflow reservior, but not back into the radiator, causing the overheating.
I took a 60 cc syringe and for about fifteen minutes (with the engine off) ...sucked out the fluid from the reservior and into the radiator thru the cap opening. Then I put some into a container for extra.
I got the reservior down to where it should be, via the dip stick. Then I started the engine, and added the fluid I put into the container, and filled it up to the top. then replaced the cap.
It's been good these past days, but I know it's going to happen again.
What could be causing my fluid to go into the reservoir, but not back out??
Thanks
Barry

Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
rich_m
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having the same problem with my 2001 Dakota. After a long drive, I'm loosing fluid through the overflow and hear the gurgling. Recently, I had this problem in heavy traffic and my temp gauge pegged to maximum for about 3 minutes; I pulled over and tried to let the engine cool down. After about 20 minutes I started the engine up and drove down the road for another 10 minutes and my engine started to make noise. Turns out, my valve seat popped out. After $3K, I thought everything would be fine; it's gurgling again. PLEASE HELP!!

Quick Reply: Radiator