2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

MSD 6A Ignition Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MSD 6A Ignition Installed

Traded my old exhaust to Mike (geo2slow4u) for his MSD 6A Kit

got it installed, and on the first turn i noticed a better idle and smoother tone.

Took it for a test drive and the low end bog i use to have is now gone. It now rockets to 3k and sits you in your seat with the 4bbl m-1 along with the other crap i have.

The idle - 3k is alot smoother now to, ive only had it on for 1 day now, so not sure on mpg or anything like that yet.

My Current mods are listed in my Sig if you want to know.

here are some pics of where i installed it.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome. I need me one of those. Also, how hard are they to install? And does it remove the need for a distributor?

Not sure exactly how thats works but id like my idle to be smoother, and the low end bog on mine, gone be good for that 4x4ing il be doing.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 PM
big.bryant
Champion

yah what exactly does it do? and do they have them for the 4.7? also how much? sorry for all the questions but i could use a little more low end power and a tad smoother idle.
thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

lol i agree i wouldl ike to know exactly how it works

Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 AM
User
Champion

You have to re-gap your plugs and usually run a cooler plug like the autolite 3923s they are 1 step cooler and pre gapped at .4 or .45 they say to up the gap to about .5 or .55, it increases the spark, and gives you a full combustion of the gas, its burns all the gas and give you better response. Like it says on the box its a muti spark, not a single one.

Performance Benefits:
Improves power, quickens throttle response.
Smooths out idle and starting.
Reduces spark plug fouling.
Improves mileage and reduces emissions.

and from what ive felt driving so far, less low end bog.. atleast for me.. since i have the 4bbl m-1

Originally Posted by big.bryant
yah what exactly does it do? and do they have them for the 4.7? also how much? sorry for all the questions but i could use a little more low end power and a tad smoother idle.
thanks
4.7 uses coil packs, so you have like.. umm 8 coils or so? lol...

so what i have on my truck will not work on yours, and honestly im not sure if they make one for the 4.7

you can check the MSD website, just Google it up.

Originally Posted by varsis
Looks awesome. I need me one of those. Also, how hard are they to install? And does it remove the need for a distributor?

Not sure exactly how thats works but id like my idle to be smoother, and the low end bog on mine, gone be good for that 4x4ing il be doing.
Not hard to install, but you will need to know how to do some research before. You need alot of adapters and harnesses to do the install and not throw codes or splice factory wiring. I do not know these harnesses by part number. But im sure google has the answers.

and no you still use the distributor. MSD does make aftermarket dis for out trucks, but only for carb not EFI

Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
big.bryant
Champion

just quick question and no disrespect or anything but why would you go from EFI to a 4bbl?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:54 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by big.bryant
just quick question and no disrespect or anything but why would you go from EFI to a 4bbl?
Just because its a 4bbl intake doesn't mean its Carbed, they make 4bbl Throttle Bodys for EFI now you know that right? Things for like S/C that run 2000+CFM

I have a 2bbl adapter on the 4bbl to make it hook up to a 52mm Throttle Body, i have the 4bbl cuz it came with the truck and im gladi i have it cuz i will need it when i have a S/C or Run Nitrous Oxide into it, i can use the adapter as a injection port plate.

Ive been looking into a NS Wet Shot, and been doing some reasearch, im going to run a 75-100shot it would run me about 700-800 new. Im going to wait to find one used or on sale. Im thinking of dropping around 600 or so for a good 10lb Bottle and NS Kit for a 35-150shot.

Cant wait. Its going to be SICK!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
big.bryant
Champion

o yeah sorry i didn't know that you could match that up and still keep EFI. that's why i asked cuz from everything i have learned/been taught/thought, carbs are no where near as good as EFI (that's why they are not in new vehicles anymore)
thanks for that clarification

Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Just a question here, which MSD would be good for low end torque, im building a 4x4ing truck so yea.

Chris

Old 10-03-2008, 03:15 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by varsis
Just a question here, which MSD would be good for low end torque, im building a 4x4ing truck so yea.

Chris
I guess any of them...

I have no idea, i only got it cuz i will need it when i run Juice and later on when i get a cam ill need the hot ignition for a mild size cam.

Quick Reply: MSD 6A Ignition Installed