2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 04:27 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4

Hey guys, me once again. I have yet to use the 4x4 and i know I should have tried out the 4x4 when I test drove the truck, but I didn't, damnit! Anyway. I put the truck in park and shifted the lever from 2wd to 4wd hi. I didn't put the truck in drive or even drive, I wanted to see if I light came on. Does a light come on somewhere once you put it in 4wd hi? Or do you have to start driving for it to engage? thanks!

hooby

Old 02-07-2005, 04:47 AM
Spear_em
Default RE: 4x4

Do you have the turn switch 4x4 or the stick on the floor 4x4? If you have the turn switch; you have to turn it to 4 hi, or 4 Lo and the light will come on when activated. You will feel it when you press on the accelerator, and feel it pull when you turn the wheel. You should have a light on the dash, but each year is different. My '97 SLT didnt, you could just feel it when it was activated.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie

my 4x4 is on the floor

Old 02-09-2005, 07:08 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

I read in the manual that the light on the dash is supposed to light up saying that it is in 4wd. I put it in 4wd hi several times but the light has not come one at all, but the truck IS in 4wd. You can feel it, but why wouldn't the light come on?

hooby

Old 02-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Spear_em

It sounds as if the bulb maybe burned out. If I remember right on my '97 the light was on the floor with the stick, by the cup holder.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:17 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

yeah.. i'm guessing that it is burnt out. Cuz on my way to coach hockey I go down a road that is all gravel, snow, and ice. Once I turned on the street (still in 2wd) I floored it and started fish-tailing and stuff. So I let up, put it in 4wd hi and tried again.. and I even tried turning back and forth to get me to slip at all and I didn't. So I know its still working lol There is NO light by the shifter. When I finally get my truck in for the recall, should I even bother get that bulb replaced? Okay, I JUST found this as I was typing. I looked in the manual again and I looked in the section telling you about the dash lights. #16 is the 4WD LOCK and it says Optional to the right of it. Does that mean the light is optional or 4WD in general? Look in your manual to see what I mean. If you have the same manual it is page 72.

Oh yeah, spear, I called the Jeep dealer and two other Dodge dealers (one in a town 20 minutes away and one 45 minutes away) and they were both in the same boat as the dealership in my town. None of them have the parts. They said as soon as the recall came out they got parts and then once they were out of the parts, that haven't gotten any for a while from Dodge and they don't know what is taking so long. So for now I'm just on the waiting list.. oh well.

hooby

Old 02-17-2005, 06:33 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at your dash at the right angle in the light you should be able to read the lights. My 99 has a 4wd light towards the bottom of the dash in the middle. I'm sure you have it, but it's burned out. I think the optional in your book is saying 4 wheel drive is optional, not the light.