2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket Remote Starter/Keyless Entry Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 AM
mdknaebel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Remote Starter/Keyless Entry Install

I have an 02 Dakota QuadCab and when I bought it used, it came with a remote starter/keyless entry device. The remote starter part works, but when I press the lock/unlock button, the parking lights just flash - the doors don't lock or unlock. I'm assuming the reciever box under the dash isn't set up properly, and I was wondering how I could connect it to the lock/unlock switch and where that is. The remote's manual says i need to connect it to the "Factory Door Unlock Switch." It is an Audiovox Prestige APS675.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't know they still made the Prestige alarms. One of 2 things is likely here. One is the alarm is connected to the door lock circuit and there is either a blown fuse, a defective or damaged relay or other component or a broken wire connection. The other possibility is that it may not be connected to the door locks at all because the installer only connected the remote start.

Dakota's are not exactly the easiest door lock systems to interface. You can remove the driver's kick panel and take a look at the Central Timer Module and see if a connection has been made to the white/green wire there, that is the multiplex wire for the OE door lock system. That one wire controls both lock and unlock, and the alarm has to have resistors and relays installed to interface with the door lock system. If no connection has been made there, maybe the original installer didn't interface the alarm with the door locks.

If you want to interface it yourself, find the door lock and unlock outputs from the alarm. The alarm should be mounted or zip-tied up under the driver's side of the dash. You need 2 Bosch relays and 2 resistors, a 330 ohm for lock and a 800 ohm for unlock. You have to wire relays in because the remote start door lock/unlock outputs do not supply enough of a ground to trigger the lock system. On both relays, connect a fused 10 or 15 amp 12 volts to terminal 86, connect one relay terminal 85 to the remote start lock wire and on the other relay connect the remote start unlock wire to terminal 85. This is assuming you have negative door lock/unlock outputs from the remote start. If you have positive door lock/unlock outputs then connect them each to their corresponding relay on terminal 86 and connect 85 to ground on both relays. On both relays connect terminal 87 to chassis ground. Then terminal 30 on each relay gets connected to one end of the corresponding resistor for lock and unlock. Then connect the remaining 2 legs of the resistors together and connect that to the white/green wire at the CTM. There is no connection to be made on terminal 87a on the relays. Before doing any of this you need to verify with a voltmeter that the white/green wire at the CTM is switching power when you operate the lock switch on the door. I think it will show 12 volts when you lock the doors from the switch. I think there is only one white/green wire at the CTM anyway.

A good car audio and security shop should also be able to do this interface for you, or diagnose the existing installation for problems for a reasonable price.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 11-11-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 AM
mdknaebel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy,

Thanks for the very detailed response. One thing I wanted to point out, which I forgot to mention previously, is that the aftermarket unit has no alarm system. Anyway, I do not believe the wires are currently run to the lock switch from the aftermarket interface box. I am still confused about where I am running the wires/relays/resistors to.

mike

Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You have a stand-alone remote start and it sounds very much like the installer only did the remote start, left off the door locks and connected the parking lights as a visual indicator the remote start is activated and to serve as a car finder function. You might do better by contacting a good car audio/alarm shop to have the door locks connected.

If Audiovox has a web site they may have a dealer locator to help you find a shop that is familiar with your system. I don't know a lot about Audiovox, I am much more familiar with Directed Electronics (Viper). But no matter what brand the system is, the door lock interface is the same. Or if you can get an installation manual or have an Audiovox dealer/installer to find the door lock output wires from the remote start unit for you, I can give details how to connect them, and the resistors and relays. It's not as hard as I made it sound.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Remote Starter/Keyless Entry Install