2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Blinkers randomly quitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:19 PM
DakotaBoy80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blinkers randomly quitting

Hey all, I'm new to the site, but am finding it is great!!! If someone could help with this question, that would be AWESOME!!!

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport, and when I use either the right or the left turn signal, it will randomly quit when nothing is touched. I turn the blinker off and right back on and it will work for a bit and then quit again. The flashers work just fine and do not quit at all. The windshield wipers and washers both work just fine as well for I replaced the blinker, wiper/washer, flasher assembly already only to find out that the problem is still there.

Thanks,
Frustrated DakotaBoy80

Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

sooo..the indicators stop working but the actual signals do not?

make sure your gauge cluster is fully plugged in

Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 AM
DakotaBoy80
Default Blinker Issue

Sorry I didn't explain it very well in my last post, but here is the whole issue....I hope...

When I turn on the blinker, the blinkers and indicator lights work just fine, but the all cut out and there is nothing. I turn off the blinker and back on and they work for a little bit and then they work again for a bit only to shut off again. This happens on BOTH the right and left blinkers. The flashers work just fine with no cutting out. I replaced the whole assembly only to discover the same issue. I checked the connections, but cannot find the pinouts of the connector to try to "direct wire" the system to see if it is a connection issue or not. I also have a question if anyone can answer: There is a black plastic unit directly behind the steering wheel that controls the auto-shut off for the blinkers. It has a wired connection to it but I am curious as to what that unit is.

Thanks again,

DakotaBoy80

Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 PM
HuskerX
Default Same Issue

I have been having the same problem. It started about 3 weeks ago and the blinkers would occasionally quit for a second or two and then start up again while waiting to turn. It has gotten progressively worse to the point that I may get one blink out of one activation if I'm lucky. I was going to start replacing like you did but now I'm not sure if I should.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 PM
DakotaBoy80
Default Possibly found something!!!

It took a bit of patience and some time, but so far it is working just fine. I took the blinker assembly off from the steering column and removed the wiring harness. Then carefully removed the white "cover" so I could see the female connectors in the plug. I then removed them one by one and took a very fine sand paper and lightly sanded them once or twice (VERY LIGHTLY though, you don't want to sand through the good connection face). Also sanding the male ends of the connectors as well. I then took a small flat head screwdriver and tried to close the "gap" on the female end connector as well to ensure a good connection. Also, a good thing to do is do this one by one so you know where they went to as well. I have an empty spot in my connector but others may vary. Once that was done, I went to my fuse box and also "scuffed" the connections on that right away along with the fuses under the hood of the truck as well. It has been working since I have done all of this for a little over a week so far with not one "hick-up" in it at all. I hope this helps!!! In the end, I did not need any new parts.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM
ben360923
Default turn signal

hi all, new to the forum. I just bought a Dakota Sport truck, my turn signals work fine, untill I hit the brakes. they will not come back on, untill I release the brakes! any help would be appreciated. ty

Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM
JunkDodge24

Dont hit the brakes.........seriouslt IDK

Quick Reply: Blinkers randomly quitting