2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

turbo 3.9L?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:06 AM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

s/c with a 360 wouldnt give me the mpg i want though. im still baffled that the mpg difference is so little. i know that my dads truck isnt in top shape and i know it gets better mpg than my ram for sure. the dak is also much quicker. then again when i dig into the dakota everynow and then, i think the person before had some tricks hidden around. maybe it was chipped before we had it? i'm not sure. I guess i'd need to drive other ram 360's and 239 dakota's to get a feel for what it's suppose to be, lol.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 AM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah with a S/C 360 mileage will be really bad but it just goes to show that for the amount of money (and i have no idea, just guessing here) it would take to turbo, you could do something really different...

Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

If I put a small turbo, all I have to spend money exclusively on is fabricating the pipes and the turbo itself, maybe a wastegate if i want. Not sure if it'd be necessary for a small turbo, but useful nonetheless.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mileage isn't terrible. I get about 13 around town and almost 18 on the interstate which isn't a long way from a stock 360 and that is with 24lbs injectors.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

what other I4's are close to the trans in the dakota?
could you install a 4 banger from a different car that is turbod adn build it up?

like a flex plate from the trans to the motor....could u make it work somehow???

i dont want to **** you guys off....but would a RWD 4 cylander be installed into the dakota from a miata or a Nissan Frontier?

just a thought?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Dodge Rules
Professional

Originally Posted by kowboydmac
If I put a small turbo, all I have to spend money exclusively on is fabricating the pipes and the turbo itself, maybe a wastegate if i want. Not sure if it'd be necessary for a small turbo, but useful nonetheless.
If you are really thinking about going with a turbo because i am pretty sure i am. Go look up sts turbos they are an exhaust system. you buy the universal set up and tell them all the specs and wall ahh. But you have to run the tubing and such like that.

I dont really know how some of you guys could put a 360 in a dakota and then install a S/C that would be way more. i am not trying to step on any ones toes but i don think it would. You all are right the best and most sufficient sollution to making power is slapping a 360 under there and build that up. I am thinking about building up my V6 but we will see. Depends on what deal arrise and what the money looks like.

Good luck to you if you decide to stick witth V6 but with a little bit of work these V6's are kinda crapped on they are alright engines and if you take care of them they are pretting decent motors. It all depends on your decision.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:32 PM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah when i pitched the idea bout the 360 w/ S/C i was just thinking that if you had to customize the V6 to get a twin turbo or even a single turbo, it would probablly just be cheaper to get the 360. if you are able to do all the fab work on your own than your costs will be much less, but if you have a shop do it for you...

Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like i said before, you could get a small used turbo for cheap that would run around 6psi, the only real money you would have to spend would be the custom fab work done for the turbo to work properly. Im not sure of what would have to be done to the ignition, but im sure if you threw together a cheap turbo setup in the long run it would be cheaper than a 360 with a S/C. Of course, if you're looking to build a monster the 360 S/C would be the way to go, but from what i can gather thats not what you're trying to do. Your stock driveline would probably hold up jsut fine to a 3.9 running 6pounds of boost, it would disentigrate if a S/C's 360 were bolted to it. You'd have a real mess on your hands.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
big.bryant
Champion

thats my bad, i thought we were building a monster. sorry bout that

Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

There was a V6 built with a turbo set up that ran 12s, I believe. It was sold, I can't remember where I saw the write up for it.

You won't get good mileage from it, because you won't be able to keep your foot out of it.

I would go with a V6 build up over putting a 360 in. Too many 360 swaps going on and the V6 is different, IMHO.

Quick Reply: turbo 3.9L?