2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Why no heat with remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 PM
pumpkinheaver
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no heat with remote start?

I have a viper security/remote start system installed on my truck. For some reason this year the heat does not kick on when I start the truck. It worked fine last year. Just curious what may cause this problem? Heat works fine when the truck is started by conventional methods. The reote start starts the truck as normal just no heat. Kinda defeats the purpose of having it.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

probably kicked a wire off or something.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to remove the lower dash panel so you can see the connections at the ignition switch harness. Dakota's have a second ignition wire and a second accessory wire, one of which will be the circuit that powers the heater. Probably the wire for the second ignition output from the remote start has come loose from its connection to the wire in the ignition harness. It could be the second accessory output that is loose too but I think the heater is on the ignition circuit. I don't know what year your truck is so I don't know which color of wire in the ignition harness to look for. But from the Viper system, the wire colors for the second ignition and accessory outputs are probably pink for accessory and yellow for the ignition. There may even be an inline fuse on them, which could be blown. It has been a while but I think those are the colors to look for from the remote start. The wires from the Viper system are about 14 gauge, and smaller wires are on the truck's ignition wire harness. If you have a 2001 Dakota, on the truck ignition harness the second ignition wire is green/red 18 gauge, and the second accessory wire is solid green. Check for a loose connection or a popped fuse. That's probably what's wrong with it.

Jimmy

Old 12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
pumpkinheaver
Rookie

Thanks, i'll try to get it worked out tomorrow. Got ice last night and calling for ice and snow tonight it will be nice to get the thing fixed!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 PM
pumpkinheaver
Rookie

Got it, thanks again for your help. Come to find out a terminal came unplugged somehow. Took longer to take the lower dash cover off than to fix the problem!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:28 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to know it was an easy fix.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Why no heat with remote start?