2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fog lights 2001 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
brewman007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights 2001 Dakota

I would like to install foglights on my P/U but use OEM equipment. Is there anybody out there who can give me a place where I can purchase these items? Thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to use all OE parts you will need a new front bumper cover and the factory fog lights and bracket kits. The bumper cover has the provisions molded in it to attach the OE fog light brackets. Pilot makes a set of lights and brackets made for Dakota's without the OEM fog light option. I think it is part #119-C but I may be wrong. I'm at work and my receipts are at home right now. I put them on my 2001 and they worked out pretty well. I put a post on here somewhere about it.

Jimmy

Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 PM
00vdub

certifit.com maybe

Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

there is someone on here who just took his foglights off, maybe hed be willing to sell them to you, that would get you the lights, then you would have to cut out the openings for them, they are marked out on the bumper even if they werent cut, just cut and mount and then get a switch to wire them in with, thats the hard part

Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 AM
brewman007

Thanks for getting back so soon. I am on my way to work so I will have plenty of time to look at these suggestions. Will the switch in the cab look OEM?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:03 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you can probably buy an OEM switch and make it work(you might need a bunch of new parts to do this as i think the stock fog lights go through the CTM for the auto shutoff, and im not sure if the truck would work that way if it didnt come w/ the fogs stock), but it would probably be easier to just wire in a toggle switch, but im not sure, someone on here has done it im sure, they will chime in eventually

Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I did it with the Pilot OE style set of fog lights. Pilot part #PL-138C is the lights I used. They cost me $110.00 plus tax at a truck accessory store in Brandon, Florida. They were expensive but I did not like the ricer-style blue lights and glow in the dark lights they have at Auto Zone and Walmart. These are clear lenses just like OEM. They are made for the Dakota and come with the bracket set to mount them to the frame rails instead of the back side of the bumper cover like the OE lights.

I used a 4" holesaw to cut out the fog light holes in my bumper and mounting the lights would have been a lot easier if I had someone to help. But it wasn't too bad.

I used part of the wire harness in the Pilot kit and some of my own wiring. I went to Radio Shack and got a flush-mounted on-off toggle switch. I wired the system with the toggle and two 30 amp Bosch SPDT relays so that the fog lights will come on only when the toggle switch and the parking lights and/or headlights are on. I also wired it with a second relay so that when the fog lights are on they will turn off when I turn on the high beams. High beams and fog lights on at the same time on the highway is illegal here where I live. It's illegal in lots of other states too. That's why Dodge wires the factory fog lights the same way. The only difference in this and the OE fog lights is you have to pull out on the OE headlight switch to turn on the OE fogs and you push in on a separate toggle switch to turn the Pilots on. Either way, you still have to use a switch. And I'm pretty sure sharpshooter is right, the OE fogs run through the CTM. Some Dakota's come with the factory wiring in place to just add the fog lights and OE foglight/headlight switch. Some don't. Mine didn't but it didn't matter anyway.

I wired my relays lke this:

1st relay:

terminal 85 to ground
terminal 87a to ground
terminal 86 to the + bright light switch wire at the CTM. the wire is red w/orange stripe
terminal 30 connected to terminal 85 on the 2nd relay
no connection to terminal 87 on 1st relay but insulate it to prevent shorts

2nd relay:

terminal 86 to the parking light + wire. It's black with a yellow stripe at the parking light
terminal 87 to fused battery 12 volts +. I used a 15 amp fuse
terminal 30 goes to the + wires on your fog lights
No connection on terminal 87a on this relay but insulate it to avoid shorts

Connect the ground wires from the fog lights to a good clean solid ground. Use a digital volt meter or a good quality test light to check for the correct parking light and high beam switch wires.

Put the toggle switch inline on the wire to terminal 86 on the 2nd relay. If you pick up the parking light wire at the light bulb like I did, there are 2 parking light bulbs there, I believe it was the one on the outside corner of the truck I had to use. I used the other one first and for some reason it made my blinker blink real fast like it had a blown bulb. I guess the park lights must be in series with the blinker bulbs some how.

I drilled a hole just below the headlight switch for the toggle. You need a step drill or uni-bit to get the right size hole for the switch I used but the flush mount switch is nice. Check to be sure you have the right area, there's a lot of plastic behind there.

Put a fuse inline on the battery + connection to terminal 87 on the 2nd relay, no less than 6 inches from the battery terminal connection. That will serve as the fuse for the fog lights and also protect the wire if there is ever a short, so it won't cause a fire.

There are even 2 pre-drilled holes inside the fender behind the battery where you can screw the relays down. I did my fog lights this way and they work great. They really help on dark country roads at night.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 12-18-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog lights 2001 Dakota