2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Poor Heat in 98 Dakota - Blend Door?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 PM
bglen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Heat in 98 Dakota - Blend Door?

I am not getting good heat in my 98 Dakota. The fan works great, all speeds.
The air that comes out is lukewarm, so I am suspecting a pluuged heater core.

However, here's what is funny about it. I will have the heat coming out the vents in the dash and then turn the actuator to have it move to the floor. for a split second I feel "hot" air as I move between the two positions. That leads me to believe there is actually heat in the core and maybe too much outside air is coming in. I am guessing that is the so called "Blend Door"

Just where is this door and can it be checked easliy?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

i have a similar issue, but it seems to blow inside the dash, more than out. But only happens after on long trips in town it's all good...

Old 01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
mhempel
Default Heater Core

I am having the same issue with lukewarm heat-99 Dakota. I was thinking of flushing the heater core. Any suggestions or even step by step instructions? Help! Its Cold!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:26 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

i would do a walkthrough..but its snowing here, screw that

the blend door is inside the dash

Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by batman13
i would do a walkthrough..but its snowing here, screw that

the blend door is inside the dash
its under the dash, in the heater core box... its only held in by 2 little metal rods, if one brakes or if you hit a large bump it could knock it out of place or get it stuck.. causing it not to work correctly..

to fix it, your gonna have to drain the coolant from the heater hoses, disconnect a/c lines going into firewall, discharge a/c, drop steering wheel, remove all harnesses and main brain, pull dash forward, remove the screws in the engine bay holding the heater core box in place there is either 4 or 5 cant remember.. one of them is the one holding the condenser bracket in place and the others are at random locations near the distributor, tanny dipstick, remove heater core housing and fix the little stupid door..... then put it all back together.. but before you do that i would just replace the heater core and the evap while its out so you dont have to do it again anytime soon.

I just did mine for the first time, its a total bitch, but after you figure out what all you need to take off and where at its easy, im going to be doing a heater core for a friend of mine this weekend hopefully for 400$ in my pocket. I love it.

Here is what you have to look forward to...

Heater core is on the left side of the box and evap is on the right side, left of the fan. The door is right in between the evap and heater core..

Last edited by User; 01-08-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

heh now i konw who to call when mine needs to be replaced

Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

i don't think thats my problem, my truck seems to blow fine than all of a sudden it will stop blowing in the right direction, but only after it heats up. I am guessing something in the switch heats up?

Quick Reply: Poor Heat in 98 Dakota - Blend Door?