2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 Quad Cab 4.7, 4X4=0, Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Mcgink
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 01 Quad Cab 4.7, 4X4=0, Help needed

I'm hoping for any suggestions or solutions to my problem here on the forum.
My battery discharged and I got the click click that goes with that when you try to start it.
When I charged the batt. and started the eng. I got a "Sevice 4X4 light".
Hoping for a simple reset type thing, I disconnected the batt. and reset the ECU per the instructions in the forum sticky here. Now, I have no indicator lights on the 4WD switch at all and the "Service 4X4" light does not come on even for the 2 seconds when the ign. switch is first turned on.
The 4X4 fuse is good and I have 12V there on both sides. When I do the ign. on/off, /on/off, on sequence, it just says/ displays -done.

Is there another Fuse, Breaker, sequence, prayer that I need to perform before heading to a Tech? or do I just need to drive 500 mi like when I replaced the gas cap.

My only electrical mod is a Viper remote-start/alarm which still functions fine, but there were no issues prior to the low battery. Has anyone else had this problem after a discharged batt?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
chris1974
Veteran

have you checked the alternator?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Which fuse did you check? There is a 10A one for the indicator lights, but there's also a 20A one (under the hood) for the Transfer Case Control Module.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 4x4 indicator and a/c act up one time and it ended up being a fuse in the cab. The mechanic looked it up on a wiring diag. funny thing is the fuse is not labeled anything to do w/4x4 or a/c. I'll try to find it and let you know.

Ok I think it was fuse #14 (10amp) labelled something like cluster 1

Last edited by rpowell; 01-15-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
f0x672
Champion

i believe there's a recall on the transfer case programming from dodge. call them with your vin.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Mcgink
Arrow I did check fuses but not the Alt.

Originally Posted by chris1974
have you checked the alternator?
I didn't check anything on the alternator, I think the battery is just tired being that it's the original. The low battery was my fault (headlights left on for an hour with key switch on but eng. not running) Is there something on the Alt. that's directly related to the 4X4 system?

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
Which fuse did you check? There is a 10A one for the indicator lights, but there's also a 20A one (under the hood) for the Transfer Case Control Module.
Originally Posted by rpowell
I had my 4x4 indicator and a/c act up one time and it ended up being a fuse in the cab. The mechanic looked it up on a wiring diag. funny thing is the fuse is not labeled anything to do w/4x4 or a/c. I'll try to find it and let you know.

Ok I think it was fuse #14 (10amp) labelled something like cluster 1
Under the hood, I checked the 20A fuse marked 4X4 and the other one marked Trans. I also swapped the relay marked Trans with another on marked Fog Lights. (The relays all have the same part # on them)
In the Fuse block on the Left side of the dash, I checked Trans Pos Ind, Cluster 1, and Panel fuses.
Fuses were checked for both continuity and voltage. I also had tried swapping the fuses with one with the same amperage rating prior to breaking out the multi meter. I will go back out and check every single fuse in both panels prob tomorrow when it warms up to 20deg.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Mcgink
Thumbs up I'll try that too

Originally Posted by f0x672
i believe there's a recall on the transfer case programming from dodge. call them with your vin.
I'll give Westminter Dodge in Dorchester MA a call tomorrow. I still have an outstanding recall notice for the G28-ignition/park shift interlock. Even though I'm not having issues with it, I'll get it done.
I've had around 5 recalls for this truck so far, most were handled during routine maint.
The balljoint recall was a specific visit though. I'm just thankfull they didn't cost me anything or worse, leave me with a wheel sideways on the ground.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
f0x672
Champion

ADVANCE SERVICE INFORMATION REGARDING DRBIII UPDATE VERSION 52.3 - SOFTWARE CODE ERROR AFFECTING 2001 DAKOTA / DURANGO RECALL 975 TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE FLASH PROCEDURE. *T

i found this under the service bulletins on NHTSA's website. does mention a recall in that statement. i remember when my dad first got my truck (bought it new, was his) and he had to bring it in for the transfer case to be reprogrammed. this was before the recall was published but it was a known issue. he had somebody on the inside at a dodge dealership at the time.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 PM
bpark8824
Champion

So it won't even go into 4wd now?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Mcgink

Originally Posted by bpark8824
So it won't even go into 4wd now?
Correct, no shifting at all. At least it's stuck in 2wd, not so handy for the foot of snow we got this weekend though.

I called the Dodge dealer this AM with my VIN and was told that the transfer-case reflash had already been done on my truck and that it was an unintended neutral shifting issue with them that prompted that recall.
I checked all fuses both in the dash and in the power dist. block under the hood and found no bad fuses.
I'm at almost 250mi since the battery disconnect reset procedure. I'll most likely drive it for another week or so before heading to a tech. I'll post the root cause when I find out what it is.
Ironically, I was browsing the 09's to find not much inventory around this area. This is my third Dakota and so far the best of the 3.

Quick Reply: 01 Quad Cab 4.7, 4X4=0, Help needed