2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine light on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005 | 08:03 PM
99superRT
Default Engine light on?

Ok, I just read a post below stating pretty much the same problem I'm facing..
First off, I got a 99 RT Dakota, dumps, belltech, headers, ported and milled heads, etc.. Right now, it is just a loud piece of crap!!

Alright, my engine light is on.. I also get the code for speed sensor, and took truck to tranny shop who spent a week replacing both, flushing and adjusting trans, and it stopped. Speedometer bounces all over the place, and truck drops into limp mode.. Turn if off, then back on, and it works for about 20 miles..

Tranny shop was stumped, and recommended dealer.. First dealer told me that they wouldn't play with it, because of all the mods.. Second dealer put there best guy on it, 25 years experience, and he said it was the other sensor.. Well, after replacing two tensors three times, he suggested it was internal tranny problem..

Hmm, now back to the tranny shop, where we did a full rebuild. During the rebuild, we found out that the overdrive was shot, and thought that might have thrown something outta wack. Well, after rebuild, it drove great, for about 50 miles, then dropped into limp mode and the engine light is back on stating speedo sensor..

Anybody got any suggestions?
Could it possibly be a faulty PCM all together, or what?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this thing is killing me financially and nobody can tell me whats wrong.

Old 02-25-2005 | 04:06 PM
b_smith_r/t
Rookie
Default RE: Engine light on?

Hey man,

I am assuming you must have read my listing concerning the faulty speedo and check engine light. Mine has completly gone away due to the cahnge of the two sensors. I just wonder after setting all the sensors bck in if the shops even reset your PCM. Ive done all my own work and dont like paying for others to do it. Oh by the which supercharger is ya have. How has it improved your power.

B-Rad

Old 02-25-2005 | 05:11 PM
99superRT

The supercharger I have is the powerdyne model.. Truck runs like a bear, and sounds like a nascar with the headers and dumps..

As far as the sensors, yeah I replaced both.. Also reset the PCM, and then the light comes back on. Really pisses me off, as dealer changed the sensors and said it was fine.. Then it came back, so they refunded my money, but where unwilling to do any further work.. They told me it was the tranny, and convinced me to rebuild. Still have the problem..

By the way, when your light came on, would car go into limp mode.. Lock into 1st gear?

Old 02-26-2005 | 05:38 PM
99superRT

Come on, anybody got any ideas??
Tranny shop thinks that the PCM might be faulty.. But right now I'm not ready to just start replacing one part after another to get to the problem..

Old 02-27-2005 | 06:34 PM
b_smith_r/t
Rookie

Hey,

My truck never went into limp mode until my cat got glogged and i had to have it replaced. But other than that i just had that anoyying light on most of the time. Mine would come on for a while then go off for a while. Sorry i cant help with any ohter thing as for i havent had to deal with it.

You say its a powerdyne is it intercooled. How much did it cost ya. What computer porblems did you face with the install. Heck that could be your problem with the light issue. For as i have read that superchargers require a computer update to work with the charger in all of its glory.

B-Rad

Quick Reply: Engine light on?