2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Club Cab Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
jimbo120
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Club Cab Speakers

Hello forum. I figure someone out there would have the answer to my question. After all this time, I have come to the point that I can't stand listening to the stock stereo system in this truck anymore. The head unit I believe is OK, but the stock speakers just sound terrible and need to be changed. Back in my younger days, I would just tear apart my cars, Camaro, GTO, 442 with no fear. Those cars were not as complicated as todays.

My question, does anyone know the process of removing the side panels in the rear seat to get to the speakers? It's a 2002 Dakota Sport. I guessing the door panels should be easy. I don't have power door locks or windows. The back scares me.

Any info would be appreciated. This way I'll know if I'm going to give it a shot on my own or be going to the nearest Best Buy.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I have to agree. Not seeing any seams scares me in the speaker replacement process.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is not very difficult, just takes patience, time and the correct tools. Move the front seats all the way forward. Start by removing the back cushion of the rear seat. It is held in place with push-in fasteners and will snap right out. It isn't necessary but it helps to remove the 5 or 6 10 mm bolts holding in the tool tray under the rear seats and remove the tray from the truck. Flip the seat bottoms up. Then remove the cover over the upper seat belt anchor and the torx bolt holding the anchor in place. I think there is a phillips screw in the coat hanger hook too. Remove it and open the side window and snap the upper section of the side trim panel out. It is held in place with metal snap-in fasteners. It helps here to partially remove the rubber weather stripping from the edge of the door jamb just don't get the adhesive on you or your interior because it's hard to remove. After that you will see the screws that hold the lower trim panel in place, around the outer edges of the panel. Remove them and work the lower panel out of the truck. The lower seat belt and anchor will get in the way but just let the panel rest outside on the ground. Then you can just remove the speakers and install new ones.

It's not hard. Just take your time and if you don't wish to do this job again put some capacitors inline on the rears so they won't blow or distort easily. Be sure to tape up the metal area around the speaker terminals so they don't short to ground and mute the sound.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 02-24-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 AM
jimbo120
Default 2002 Club Cab Speakers

Thanks for that detailed reply. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, real life sometimes get in the way. (Wife, kids, house, job). I printed out your response and hopefully will give it a go this weekend.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
big.bryant
Champion

let us know and if you can, take some pictures!

Best.

Quick Reply: 2002 Club Cab Speakers