2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 Dakota w/P1391 code

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM
arboc47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dakota w/P1391 code

I have a 98 Dakota 2 wheel drive that starts perfectly and runs the same even in VERY cold weather. When I first purchased it a year ago (used) they ended up doing a rebuild to the top engine portion under warranty. Ever since then, the "check engine light" comes on and it gives the code P1391. Is this because they didn't change the cam sensor when rebuilding the top engine portion? Unfortunately, I live in NY state where your inspection will fail if your "check engine" light is lit whether it has anything to do with safety or not. Thanks for any input/help.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
DakotaRookie

I am having the same problem with my 2000 everything seems to run fine, but the chk engine light with the P1391 code comes up. YOu can clear the code by unplugging the neg. on the battery and turning key to on position for 10 sec. then take key out and reconnect neg. to battery. I am not sure on the fix for the item yet, but if that helps clear it to get you through your inspection then cool.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
DakotaRookie

Found out that taking the connector off the camshaft position sensor and cleaning the connections and then reattaching the connector seemed to work at clearing the code. I also disconnected the neg. on the battery for TEN minutes. Now the code is clear and it starts and runs as well as before without the check engine light.

Quick Reply: 98 Dakota w/P1391 code