2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Keyless entry problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM
mmzullo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry problem

Hi Guys and Gals!! Not new here but never had a need to post. I have a 02 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Qcab and a v8. My battery shorted out so I replaced it. The Hlights where staying on so I did some research. Found out the BCM was bad. Replaced it and the truck was ok. But the keyless entry does not work. I've tried both keys and no good. I tried to reset the remotes like the OM said but it didn't work. Does this have to be done by the dealer. Does the BCM have to flashed?
Thanks
Mike

Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When the central timer module aka BCM is replaced the best way to program the remotes to the new CTM is at the dealer with the DRB scan tool. But try the 2 procedures in this thread. One is a lot shorter than the other, hopefully one of them will work.

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/dea/373.html

Hope that helps.

Jimmy

Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 PM
mmzullo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silver ,
Thanks for the info. My OM's manual has that same procedure. I don't get a chime after the procedure. As reading that other forum thread, I guess I have to go to the dealer. The parts counter guy said it should work without a doing flash. I guess he was wrong. I could just live without keyless entry but I've been spoiled.
Is there anything else I could try?
Thanks for your help,
Mike

Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't read through the whole procedure, but you can always try disconnecting your negatvie terminal the battery for a few minutes and hook it back up, sometimes that can help a lot of simple electrical things... otherwise use the procedure.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

From reading the Service Manual for my 2001 (your 02 should be the same), it says to get the new CTM and keyless entry functions to work, you have to use the DRB scan tool to capture the program settings from the old CTM before you remove it, then install the new CTM and use the DRB tool to learn the original CTM settings and program the old remotes to the new CTM. Hopefully you still have the old CTM from your truck. I guess that might get expensive at the dealer.

If the only problem with the truck is the lack of keyless entry, you could just add an aftermarket keyless entry system for probably $100 to maybe at most $150 installed, depending where you live. Directed Electronics (Viper, Python, Sidewinder) makes a really good stand-alone keyless. When I was an installer, our shop sold the Viper one for about $85.00 installed. But that was 9 years ago and West Coast of Florida prices. It might be more where you live, or maybe about the same ball park.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 03-11-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry problem