2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Autozone Water pumps....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Kevioll
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autozone Water pumps....

Back in the fall, I had to replace the water pump on my 94 dakota, first one I got leaked from the second I started the truck. Took it out and exchanged it, the 2nd one has been fine ever since, so I figured that first pump was just a rare exception and thought the product was ok.

Saturday the 98 dakota started leaking out the water pump so I again bought the lifetime duralast NEW not rebuilt water pump from autozone. Well, the first one squealed at start up, so that one had to come out and be exchanged. The 2nd one lasted 2 days, then started squealing and leaking.

got my money back, according to the Autozone guy, 'those never get returned' and bought a New Lifetime pump from Advance. Got that one in, and so far so good, and interesting to note: Same price, Autozone pump is built in mexico, Advance is built in USA (ohio).

I've put an A Z pump in my Caravan, no problems, as well as other vehicles in the past without issue.. maybe it's just the Dakota/ truck pumps.. anybody else have a similar story?

PS I can now swap the water pump in less than an hour, i've had more practice than i'll ever need

Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv always gone with Napa and have never had a problem. They seem to alwas have what I want. Advance has a ll the crap you don't need like fake shift lights and shift ***** that have lights on them.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on Napa parts, they are every bit as good and better than the dealer, and a lot better quality than cheaper parts from other stores. I never have trouble with Napa parts, which makes them worth the extra cost, if there is any difference.

Jimmy

Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
bpark8824
Champion

yup, i started going to napa when they put one in about 2 miles from and haven't stopped going back. It doesn't matter what I ask for they have it in stock. I think I could build my truck 3x over with the parts they have. Plus the parts always seem to hold up which is just as important

Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Spidamantnmc
Professional

the ones where i live are dicks.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here Spida. Never go to NAPA anymore. Hate that Place. I always go to Advance. Not too keen on Autozone anymore. Before they switched to all Duralast parts, I went there on occasion. Advance has always been my store though.

As far as NAPA is concerned, If Autozone, or Advance doesn't have what I need I go to the dealer. I've had nothing but problems with NAPA parts. Get the wrong part, Part is mis-labeled, their brake pads sucks in my opinion. I've gotten bad pumps from the factory there, ball-joints didn't fit right, the list goes on. This stuff wasn't all for one vehicle. This was many different cars. This is just my experience though. I have friends who swear by NAPA parts. I've just been screwed over one too many times. Won't Go back.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i dont use any of those i use a local store by me, (well one of two) and if they dont have the part in stock, they can get it NEXT DAY w/o any xtra charge and all their parts have been good, so im not going to complain

Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM
big.bryant
Champion

internet is where i get everything...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I guess it probably just depends on the store. The advance by me is run by a bunch of absolute idiots and I hate going there. The Napa always has what I want and always helps me out a ton if I need anything. I think it really just depends on the store and who works/runs it.

Last edited by bpark8824; 03-12-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Autozone Water pumps....