2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Computer problem?! help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 AM
z250rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Computer problem?! help

Ok guys so i took my truck to a shop and they put a code scanner on the comp and it came up code 72 something about rom and ram read only checksum does this mean the comp is bad or i still need to change my sensor in the rear end i dont want to have to put a new comp in this truck if i really dont need to i know alot more about imports then dakota's haha

Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 AM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z250rider
i know alot more about imports then dakota's
well there's your problem right there. haha.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by z250rider
Ok guys so i took my truck to a shop and they put a code scanner on the comp and it came up code 72 something about rom and ram read only checksum does this mean the comp is bad or i still need to change my sensor in the rear end i dont want to have to put a new comp in this truck if i really dont need to i know alot more about imports then dakota's haha
Do you have the specific wording of the code by any chance? When read with a scanner the code should be 'Pxxxx' where the x's are numbers, if you can get that code it may help determine where the problem is. I skimmed through the code list and didn't find anything referencing checksum but typically a bad checksum on an area of memory indicates a problem with that memory.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 AM
big.bryant
Champion

do the key trick, should be in a sticky at the top and that should give you the Pxxxx code, which you can find in another sticky at the top of the forum which will tell you your problem... hopefully this helps, let us know if you ahve any other problems

cheers.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM
z250rider

i tried the key trick and couldnt get it to work lol but here are the 2 codes that i saw Code 71 is "RAM Read/Write" and 72 is "ROM Checksum im really hoping its jus the rear sensor

Old 03-20-2009, 03:47 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

im calling b.s. on those codes. those are not real trouble codes. if you dont have a check engine light on, and the truck is running ok, you dont have anything to worry about. your truck is a 99 so the key trick should work... i think. if i knew how to put videos onto the computer i would go out and take a vid of an example and put it on youtube.... maybe someone else that knows how to do that stuff could do it?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wink2873
im calling b.s. on those codes. those are not real trouble codes. if you dont have a check engine light on, and the truck is running ok, you dont have anything to worry about. your truck is a 99 so the key trick should work... i think. if i knew how to put videos onto the computer i would go out and take a vid of an example and put it on youtube.... maybe someone else that knows how to do that stuff could do it?
cycle 3 times from the power on to the start position but don't start. On the last one just leave it forward.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:43 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, get a real code, as said above, it will be like PXXXX. (Where "X" is a number)
AutoZone, or most any other car parts store, can scan for codes, for free.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
fishbait

When I get the codes I turn the key to the on position, so the gauge lights come on(not all the way to start), off, on, off, then on and leave it on. The codes then come up on odometer followed by a "pdone" after the codes have been displayed.

Quick Reply: Computer problem?! help