2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

audio help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
02dakslt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio help!

hey guys i just put in my dvd player and it has that stupid wire that ur supposed to hook up to the e brake so u can watch dvds, does anyone know how to bypass this? i was told that it is just a ground and you can just ground it wherever u can but i tried that and it still shows the message that i need to hook up the e brake wire to watch dvds

thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 09:54 PM
blacklake1967
Professional

I found this...it may help, unless you have the gyro movement detector, then you're pretty much out-of-luck.

For the record, bypassing the parking brake switch for aftermarket in-dash DVD is illegal (in the U.S., which is why it is generally easy to bypass them, considering its not illegal in the countries where they are manufactured). However, there are instances that it is necessary. Using an in-dash DVD stereo in the back of a lemo for example, in which case the law doesn't apply. Or just your average Joe who wants his wife to be able to watch a DVD while he's driving without spending another couple hundred bucks to put a screen in her headrest. Its a pretty stupid law obviously, but what do you expect when certain types of people are watching **** and blaring their radio sitting in traffic. Anyone worth living would know not to watch it while in the middle of driving. The E-Brake is just annoying.
The majority of aftermarket units rely on a grounding switch, otherwise known as the "e-brake switch". On the back on the unit there should be an additional wire labeled as the "Parking Brake" or something to that effect. Law implies that this should be spliced into the Parking Brake wire (which is essentially a constant hot which becomes a ground when engaged). So the obvious thing here is to simply ground the Parking Brake wire on the back of the radio. This can be done just splicing it into the black wire on the radio harness.
However, some units use different methods. Some require seeing a pulse (i.e., power-ground-power-ground-etc.), resulting in the annoying need of pushing the e-brake a few times before your video will pop up. This can generally be recreated by using a 3-prong switch (you can get one at AutoZone). Connect it backwards -- the ground to power, power to ground, and the "Load" to the Parking Brake wire on the back of the radio. Flip the switch back and forth a few times and sometimes the video will pop up.
Some fancier units cannot be cheated. They use an internal gyro mechanism that detects movement. Some even feature bypass codes. By pressing a certain combination of buttons on the remote then entering in a code it will permanently allow video.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
02dakslt

sweet that helps alot, god i sure hope mine doesnt have that gyro in it cuz that would down right suck. now i have a new problem, P1494 (M) Leak Detection Pump Sw or Mechanical Fault Incorrect input state detected for the leak detection pump (LDP) pressure switch. what is this??

Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
blacklake1967
Professional

Sorry I can't help you on that last one....I would recommend starting a new thread about it...I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out.

Quick Reply: audio help!